Online Forum Discussion for Ms. Maan's Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Researching and Plagiarism... LS403

+31
amorado.aimielblessa
lat.angela
maralit.leandro
coloma.kimberly
Buac.Rizabeth
armamento.lulu
silva.pauline
perez.anna
bunyi.eimeren
chua.darwin
bautista.angeli
tyrone.magpantay
pagayunan.faye
labindalawa.dana
bollozos.jane
Aquino. Jestin
mendoza.marlaandrea
bianca.arada
princess.panganiban
vitto.krisha
olap.neriezza
delgado.stephany
Bravo.Cyril
macapagal.frances
barro.anne
mercado.margaret
landicho.czar
manguiat.julie
miguel.karl
gutierrez.gio
Admin
35 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty Re: Online Researching and Plagiarism... LS403

Post  mendoza.marlaandrea Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Come to think of it, we could say name is not important because, anyway, it's God's name that matters!!! Kaya nga "to God be the glory" Basketball

But the importance of this matter..

The significance of putting a name on something has a benefit one could have by having a creative mind or a hard-working attitude. Most people think and create for a living! Their jobs require them to do so. Therefore, they depend on this idea that they worked on for days.. or weeks. You might not know how much they put into that.

Lesson learned?

Andrea jocolor

mendoza.marlaandrea

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty No to Plagiarism

Post  bunyi.eimeren Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Plagiarism means copying another's work or copying someone else's ideas without giving him/her credits. It is an act of stealing and it is very rampant nowadays as the internet is being well known. Plagiarism is a terrible crime. Just imagine if you made some ideas, putting your one hundred percent effort, and then after some time, it is already all throughout the world, and other people are stealing it for their own benefits without even recognizing the one who made it. Try to imagine that situation.

I learned a lot from the powerpoint presentation we have read. It makes me realize certain things that I shouldn't do especially as a student who always need some researches as school requirement. It feels good to have your own idea, not copied ones. Plagiarism must stop. We can make simple ways to help lessen this issue but the change must begin first with ourselves.

bunyi.eimeren

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty Re: Online Researching and Plagiarism... LS403

Post  bunyi.eimeren Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:37 pm

As a High school student, we have lots of requirements in our school that requires intense researches. And in doing such things, we often do the "copy-paste" process to have something to submit to our teachers, not knowing how serious & bad the things we're doing. Plagiarism, a literary theft occurs. Its so nice because we were given a chance to read and learn something about it through a ppt. presentation. After reading it, I realized a lot of things.

First, I must work hard to at least express my thoughts and ideas and not just rely on somebody's work because it's an act of stealing. And as we all know, stealing is a crime. It's against the commandment of God.

Second, if I really need some ideas and research found only in the internet, I should recognize the ones being responsible for that matter for they're the ones who worked hard for it.

bunyi.eimeren

Back to top Go down

Post  perez.anna Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 pm

After reading the said files, plagiarism is a sin. You steal someone's work without their knowledge or permission. Sometimes, I copy and paste ideas from any websites without giving credit to the owner of the work. That makes me guilty of plagiarism.

Thanks to the powerpoint because I got several ideas on how to avoid plagiarism. Whenever I get ideas from websites, I have to cite the source. Whenever I use the words of the others, I have to quote them and include their name. These are just simple ways, but a big factor to avoid plagiarism.

perez.anna

Back to top Go down

Post  perez.anna Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:22 pm

tyrone.magpantay wrote:

Citing the sources should be a part of our habit whenever we do researches... in this way, we could prevent plagiarism. Plagiarism is a form cheating and dishonesty.

I agree with you, Tyrone. Let's make it a habit to cite sources to avoid plagiarism. Smile

perez.anna

Back to top Go down

Post  pagayunan.faye Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:29 pm

tyrone.magpantay wrote:Here are some ways we could prevent committing PLAGIARISM:

1. Give credit where credit is due. Inevitably, you will use other people's discoveries and concepts. Build on them creatively. But do not compromise your honor by failing to acknowledge clearly where your work ends and that of someone else begins.

2. Provide proper citation for everything taken from others. Such material includes interpretations, ideas, wording, insights, factual discoveries, charts, tables, and appendices that are not your own. Citations must guide the reader clearly and explicitly to the sources used, whether published, unpublished, or electronic. Cite a source each time you borrow from it. A single citation, concluding or followed by extended borrowing, is inadequate and misleading. Indicate all use of another's words, even if they constitute only part of a sentence, with quotation marks and specific citation. Citations may be footnotes, endnotes, or parenthetical references.

3. Recognize the work of others even if you are not borrowing their words. Theories, interpretations, assessments, and judgments are all intellectual contributions made by others and must be attributed to them.

4. Paraphrase properly. Paraphrasing is a vehicle for conveying or explaining a source's ideas and requires a citation to the original source. A paraphrase captures the source's meaning and tone in your own words and sentence structure. In a paraphrase, the words are yours, but the ideas are not. It should not be used to create the impression of originality.

5. Cite sources in all work submitted for credit. Your instructor may also require you to identify the contributions of others in drafts you submit only for review. Ask your instructor for his or her citation requirements and any discipline-specific attribution practices.

6. Be cautious when using web-based sources, including Internet sites and electronic journals. There is a common misperception that information found on the Internet does not need to be cited. Web-based information, even if anonymous, must be appropriately cited. Do not cut and paste or otherwise take material from websites without proper citation.

7. Provide a citation when in doubt. Always err on the side of caution.

source: http://www.usna.edu/Library/Plagiarism/Plagiarism.html

Citing the sources should be a part of our habit whenever we do researches... in this way, we could prevent plagiarism. Plagiarism is a form cheating and dishonesty.

How kind of you to share those infos, john!!! With these new learnings about PLAGIARISm. I believe that each and everyone of us will somehow lessen the act of committing plagiarism Smile
pagayunan.faye
pagayunan.faye

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty IDENTITY THEFT

Post  pagayunan.faye Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:31 pm

"A hidden terrorism,
Without an iota of shame-
This vile plagiarism-
More than stealing a name."
- 1st stanza of Cynthia BUhain's poem entit
led "Identity Theft"
[/color]

This stanza surely explains how PLAGIARISM become a silent and deadly disease that can creep into your writing and turn you from an independent, creative researcher and author into a mere copycat of other people's original thoughts and ideas. This I believe is a very dangerous trend, especially during a student's formative years.

As a writer myself, I can attest how PLAGIARISM can ruin one's career and identity. No matter how you rearranged a statement or rephrased a sentence, it's still an act of PLAGIARISM because it's the idea which you really stole. For me, once you plagiarized an article, you won't really feel the essence once the crowd will praise your work. Because you know in yourself that all the ideas you scribbled in your paper were not really yours. You just made a patched up work and a wa
ste of time.

PLAGIARISM is like a flying turtle- totally HILARIOUS.
pagayunan.faye
pagayunan.faye

Back to top Go down

Post  manguiat.julie Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:31 pm

mercado.margaret wrote:
princess.panganiban wrote:
landicho.czar wrote:My gosh! I realize that sometimes, I do this very wrong thing. It is stealing of others work. It is against the natural law. We should ask for permission or we should give them credits as we use their works.
O my gosh! Smile) Don't worry Czar, not only you committed the same CRIME. We are all, I think guilty of plagiarism. So now is the time to say no to plagiarism for it is against the natural law. :>

hahaha! I agree to both of you, Pintet and Czar. We are all guilty of Plagiarism...But now, I think that we have learned our lesson: ASKING PERMISSION and GIVING CREDITS are ESSENTIAL for us not to be sued because of this crime. :> Now, we know what to do the next time! Very Happy

That's right pcess, meg , and czar we are all guilty of plagiarism because when our teachers said that we should research about that topic we just copy and paste the information we forgot to give a credit to the author. Now that we know that plagiarism is wrong. It is the time that we should make a change Smile

manguiat.julie

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty Plagiarism => Plague

Post  bunyi.eimeren Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Internet surfing is very useful today. Through this, we can learn and acquire more informations we need. It makes our work easier to finish. Most of the time, when we are using the internet to gather informations and data we need most especially in our school, we forget to do what is right. We're becoming overconfident and we usually copy what is exactly written in the web not knowing that we are committing PLAGIARISM. To be honest, i am one of the students who commits this act of stealing. I learned a lot after reading the powerpoint presentation about plagiarism and I will always remind myself to acknowledge or give credits to the ones who make the article or ideas that I can get.

bunyi.eimeren

Back to top Go down

Post  manguiat.julie Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:58 pm

perez.anna wrote:
After reading the said files, plagiarism is a sin. You steal someone's work without their knowledge or permission. Sometimes, I copy and paste ideas from any websites without giving credit to the owner of the work. That makes me guilty of plagiarism.

Thanks to the powerpoint because I got several ideas on how to avoid plagiarism. Whenever I get ideas from websites, I have to cite the source. Whenever I use the words of the others, I have to quote them and include their name. These are just simple ways, but a big factor to avoid plagiarism.

That's right anna its a mortal sin commandment number 7!.. Twisted Evil.. In the ppt there are several ways to avoid plagiarism like citing the source or the site, quote the author whenever you get his/her information, and have a bibliography in the end of your thesis/ paperworks.

manguiat.julie

Back to top Go down

Post  perez.anna Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

manguiat.julie wrote:
mercado.margaret wrote:
princess.panganiban wrote:
landicho.czar wrote:My gosh! I realize that sometimes, I do this very wrong thing. It is stealing of others work. It is against the natural law. We should ask for permission or we should give them credits as we use their works.
O my gosh! Smile) Don't worry Czar, not only you committed the same CRIME. We are all, I think guilty of plagiarism. So now is the time to say no to plagiarism for it is against the natural law. :>

hahaha! I agree to both of you, Pintet and Czar. We are all guilty of Plagiarism...But now, I think that we have learned our lesson: ASKING PERMISSION and GIVING CREDITS are ESSENTIAL for us not to be sued because of this crime. :> Now, we know what to do the next time! Very Happy

That's right pcess, meg , and czar we are all guilty of plagiarism because when our teachers said that we should research about that topic we just copy and paste the information we forgot to give a credit to the author. Now that we know that plagiarism is wrong. It is the time that we should make a change Smile

I agree to all of you. I think that no single person is guilty of plagiarism. When it comes to research, we forget to include the site we used as our source after we have finished our work. From now on, whenever we research, we shouldn't forget to give credit to the owners of the work to avoid plagiarism, a serious crime.

perez.anna

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty You cannot deny the fact that..

Post  silva.pauline Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Yes, I do agree that Plagiarism is an act of “stealing”. But, I can’t deny the fact that as a student, dealing with a lot of home works and researches, I do admit that at times, I violate the rules of citation. But, after reading the power point made by our Computer Teacher, Ms. Obre, it somehow served an eye opener for not only me, but also for my fellow classmates, that Plagiarism is a big no-no for us. :> You still can somehow pick up ideas but you still need to follow a format for giving recognition to the person or author who said or discovered the concept. Razz Rolling Eyes What a Face

Like a Star @ heaven

silva.pauline

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty Plagiarism

Post  bautista.angeli Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:12 pm

AWESOME.! It was so relieving to know that plagiarism opened my mind that stealing the work of others is an illegal act. Even it helps my school works and researches, it gave me a big lesson on how to complement others. Avoiding plagiarism can develop my skills in having my own ideas about the topics that I have to search. By avoiding plagiarism, I can use the work of others as a reference only to finish my works. I love you flower afro farao sunny santa cheers bom

bautista.angeli

Back to top Go down

Post  bunyi.eimeren Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:17 pm

"That makes me guilty of plagiarism."

I also feel the same way Anna. But we learn from our mistakes, so let's just be better and always put in mind that plagiarism isn't good for it's a form of cheating/stealing.

Very Happy

bunyi.eimeren

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty wading through the net

Post  bautista.angeli Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Research works is part if being a student and no one can't graduate without experiencing to do a research work. Having the knowledge from wading through the net presentation, we students realized that research work is as simple as that. Like a Star @ heaven This knowledge will be very useful in our daily lives even after we graduated from the course we wanted. cat alien Basketball sunny geek

bautista.angeli

Back to top Go down

Post  manguiat.julie Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:21 pm

bunyi.eimeren wrote:As a High school student, we have lots of requirements in our school that requires intense researches. And in doing such things, we often do the "copy-paste" process to have something to submit to our teachers, not knowing how serious & bad the things we're doing. Plagiarism, a literary theft occurs. Its so nice because we were given a chance to read and learn something about it through a ppt. presentation. After reading it, I realized a lot of things.

First, I must work hard to at least express my thoughts and ideas and not just rely on somebody's work because it's an act of stealing. And as we all know, stealing is a crime. It's against the commandment of God.

Second, if I really need some ideas and research found only in the internet, I should recognize the ones being responsible for that matter for they're the ones who worked hard for it.

That's right yen we should not always rely in the internet. It is good that ma'am malu taught us what is the right definition of research. The information in the internet will just serve as a guide for you. The content of you research paper must be your own thought Question

manguiat.julie

Back to top Go down

Post  bunyi.eimeren Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 pm

perez.anna wrote:

"That makes me guilty of plagiarism."

I also feel the same way Anna. But we learn from our mistakes, so let's just be better and always put in mind that plagiarism isn't good for it's a form of cheating/stealing.

Very Happy

bunyi.eimeren

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty Plagiarism: A Mortal Sin

Post  armamento.lulu Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Plagiarism is defined as the copying of another's work without giving them any credit. For me, it is a crime committed almost by everyone. I am also certain that I have committed this crime in the past years of my life. This act is very wrong for with plagiarism, you steal the work of other people. And, stealing, is and will always be, a crime. And crimes are punishable by law. So, if you pursue on plagiarizing, you might as well get yourself ready for prison.

armamento.lulu

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty http://www.plagiarism.org/ CHECH THIS OUT! :)

Post  silva.pauline Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:24 pm

The given website above aims to lessen or prevent people violating Plagiarism.

It is good to know that some students nowadays can stand up and make an advocacy site like this. This organization can guide the youth on how to use the Internet wisely. Not only it will teach students on how to research properly, but it also teaches the youth on how to be independent in making their own assignments and projects. Because, knowing and seeing pupils being busy, they will have the tendency to just “copy and paste” their work. But now, sites like this (see the link above) would orient us on how Plagiarism works.
confused tongue

cheers

silva.pauline

Back to top Go down

Post  bautista.angeli Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:25 pm

silva.pauline wrote:Yes, I do agree that Plagiarism is an act of “stealing”. But, I can’t deny the fact that as a student, dealing with a lot of home works and researches, I do admit that at times, I violate the rules of citation. But, after reading the power point made by our Computer Teacher, Ms. Obre, it somehow served an eye opener for not only me, but also for my fellow classmates, that Plagiarism is a big no-no for us. :> You still can somehow pick up ideas but you still need to follow a format for giving recognition to the person or author who said or discovered the concept. Razz Rolling Eyes What a Face

Like a Star @ heaven
I do agree with you Pau! There are also times that I commit plagiarism because of not including the one who had made the certain information that I get from the internet. But as what you've said, the power point presentation that our computer teacher had made. It serves as an eye- opener for us students to be aware of what are the right things we should do when we are getting information from the net.. Smile flower

bautista.angeli

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 3 Empty Plagiarism: Mortal Sin :)

Post  Buac.Rizabeth Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 pm

I learned that plagiarism is an act of stealing the work/s of others without giving credit to the one who made it originally. And we all know that stealing is a mortal sin as stated in the seventh commandment: "Thou shall not steal" Smile I, as a student, plagiarized many times already especially when our teacher's assignments is research. Neutral I am very much guilty of what I've done Neutral And now, after I've read the powerpoint, I'm already aware that plagiarism is a sin. I promise not to do it again Smile I also learned the different ways of preventing plagiarism like putting the link of your source website and quote the sentence/words that you copied. Smile I will tell my fellow students about plagiarism so that they would also not commit the same as what I've commited Smile So, stop plagiarising, it's a mortal sin. Very Happy cheers

Buac.Rizabeth

Back to top Go down

Post  bunyi.eimeren Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 pm

vitto.krisha wrote:Would you steal a bag? Would you rob a bank? Would you steal just for an assignment? Well, to tell everyone honestly, I am guilty of plagiarism. I do it whenever there is a research work needed in school. The top site where I steal ideas is Wikipedia. Well, it's the site that pops out into my mind whenever assignment is needed. Very Happy I'll admit it; I hate it when references are asked. I always forget to put my references so I need to search the sites again so it's very tiresome. But still, it's a crime. Well, I guess, it's another lessoned learned for all of us. Very Happy

I agree with you Krisha. Now that we have enough knowledge regarding plagiarism, we can now improve and do what is right. Smile

bunyi.eimeren

Back to top Go down

Post  coloma.kimberly Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:46 pm

I myself is guilty of plagiarism. I always thought that copying and then editing some words would make it my own work. Some of us even realize that what they are doing is plagiarism. In the powerpoint i learned a lot of different search engines other than Google and yahoo that could be very helpful in our research.

coloma.kimberly

Back to top Go down

Post  silva.pauline Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:50 pm

bautista.angeli wrote:
silva.pauline wrote:Yes, I do agree that Plagiarism is an act of “stealing”. But, I can’t deny the fact that as a student, dealing with a lot of home works and researches, I do admit that at times, I violate the rules of citation. But, after reading the power point made by our Computer Teacher, Ms. Obre, it somehow served an eye opener for not only me, but also for my fellow classmates, that Plagiarism is a big no-no for us. :> You still can somehow pick up ideas but you still need to follow a format for giving recognition to the person or author who said or discovered the concept. Razz Rolling Eyes What a Face

Like a Star @ heaven
I do agree with you Pau! There are also times that I commit plagiarism because of not including the one who had made the certain information that I get from the internet. But as what you've said, the power point presentation that our computer teacher had made. It serves as an eye- opener for us students to be aware of what are the right things we should do when we are getting information from the net.. Smile flower

Thank you, Angeli. Smile We have this tendency to just "copy and paste" others' work. But it is now good to know that somehow, we can still get ideas from the Internet, but we just have to cite them or give them the recognition that they deserve :>

silva.pauline

Back to top Go down

Post  maralit.leandro Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 pm

Plagiarism is having no originality at all. In every competition, originality has the biggest percentage in scoring in order to win. To come up with an original piece, we all believe that much talent was shared, much effort was exerted, and much time was spent for it. This is why acknowledgement should then be given to the one who originally created the piece. Plagiarism is commonly committed by students like me. Whenever I have assignments or works wherein I have to research about something, I just type keywords on the search bar, go to one of the results, copy-paste the content, then my assignment is done. It's much easier to do this, but still it is wrong. From now on, I'll put my own insights, opinions about a certain topic, and not just copy other's work.

maralit.leandro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next