Online Forum Discussion for Ms. Maan's Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

+36
ng.justine
reyes.chariemarie
aguila.matheressa
adao.prince
arcega.patricia
reyes.clarisa
fabregas.bianca
favorada.immyfelyss
Mojares.Richelle
cuenca.catherine
libao.danielleann
tablada.sharmaine
ilagan.magillene
mayo.raizza
bautista.aimeedresa
bolaños.jerelyn
Salamanca.Patricia
ty.rishina
dimaandal.roma
mercado.patriciaanne
Flores.Audrey
mangubat.charlesmico
dimaculangan.kerenkristel
Niña Keith B. Viterbo
ortaliza.kevin
lalusin.aaron
dinglasan.joycebelle
sangalang.dianejoy
Villanueva.Paoline
guevarra.mariaquita
hernandez.jaerelle
aldover.meryl
Abrenica.MarkKevin
burog.jomarigabriel
marquez.litzmichaela
Admin
40 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 10 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

aldover.meryl wrote:
ng.justine wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:
As actress and singer Judy Garland says, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." cheers

You are so right TamaBuds! It's really better to be true and to be you rather than living a life pretending to be someone else whom you are not. Just like in the requirements in school that we submit, doesn't it make you feel better and more proud if you get a high score because you submitted your OWN work rather because you submitted a "patch up" work or worst because you submitted the work of others?

raise your own flag..
be honest
avoid plagiarism

Aww, I like what you said about raising your own flag, Meryl. I guess that is true not only in plagiarism but in life as well. Let's raise our own flag and stand our ground. Smile
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 10 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 pm

rosuman.edzel wrote:
aldover.meryl wrote:good job prince... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=170426259642935&id=100000180181907 we should spread the word about plagiarism

NO TO PLAGIARISM
it's a means of stealing. To steal is against God...

Nice one!

I like this! Very Happy We should use the net as a means in order to start a campaign against plagiarism! As teens, we use the net everyday, and it is just right that we use it for a good cause. Wink
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  aguila.matheressa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 pm

reyes.clarisa wrote:
Mojares.Richelle wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:
lalusin.aaron wrote:
mercado.patriciaanne wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:So, let's not commit crime. Say no to "copy-paste"-ing. lol!

YEAH! Say no to copy-pasting! cheers

I agree, but saying no is not enough. We also have to act on this pressing issue

I agree with Aaron. We should have self discipline in order to lessen this kind of issue.

I agree. We need to develop self discipline within ourselves to fully say that we are a successful one.

Copying answers from the net or other sources is unavoidable, but as we "paste" our answers in our documents, we should remember to thank the person who helped us by any means in coming up with the answer through mentioning him/her and acknowledging his/her work.

I agree with you, Clarisa. I actually wonder what's so hard about citing one's sources, but whatever it is that keeps us from doing so, let us disregard it from now on. If you are too lazy to include your sources, imagine yourselves in the shoes of whose work you are copying. Will you not work on it? santa rendeer
aguila.matheressa
aguila.matheressa

Back to top Go down

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:40 pm

reyes.clarisa wrote:

I also learned many things from the presentation about search engines, and I deem those useful for our term paper these last two quarters. Not only that, but I also see it as a big help when I move forward to my college years, when I need to be independent already and work on my own, not depending on others. Smile

I strongly share the same sentiments with you, Iching! Smile I was thinking of the same thing when I was reading the PowerPoint on wading through the net. I was deeply grateful to find out about all these search engines and metasearches. Now researching through the net would be twice faster than it was before. Smile Very Happy
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  tablada.sharmaine Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Benitez.Dana wrote:I have to admit… When I didn’t know any better, I was guilty of plagiarism. I wasn’t just innocent. I was ignorant. I had no idea it was wrong to carelessly copy something off the internet and make it seem like it was my own work.

Yeah. That why this lesson is very helpful. And I'll tell you all a secret.. this morning, when I saw ms.Obre's instructions, I thought, "What? Plagiarism? ano namang konek nun sa subnetting? Why do we even need to read this powerpoint presentation?!" But then, after reading.. I realized that we should learn from our mistakes like Deynali did. We should do what is right. We should also educate other people on this popular crime so that they, too, will stop committing the mistakes we have been doing in the past.
tablada.sharmaine
tablada.sharmaine

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 pm

Salamanca.Patricia wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:[justify]When I viewed and read the presentation about plagiarism and search engines, I realized many things.

As I finished studying about plagiarism, I found out that I was guilty of it. Whenever we have research work to do for our classes, I usually just do the simple "copy-paste" technique which leaves me a perfect score with no sweat. Oftentimes, I also tend to miss out on crediting the person or a specific source from which I retrieved my answers. It was only until now that I found out that doing this is exactly committing the crime of plagiarism and consequently violating the rights of the person himself/herself. In many ways, this could cause harm or even danger not only to the one who plagiarized but also to the one whose work has been plagiarized. As budding students, we should not plagiarize since it could damage our reputation and well-off character as well. We should work hard for everything we do, and we should not fully rely on others for our jobs.

As actress and singer Judy Garland says, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." cheers

I also learned many things from the presentation about search engines, and I deem those useful for our term paper these last two quarters. Not only that, but I also see it as a big help when I move forward to my college years, when I need to be independent already and work on my own, not depending on others. Smile

very well said, Clarisa! Be proud and confident of what you can do. Don't be afraid to show others what you've got. Be original and don't just copy trends from others. Smile

Thanks, Patty! Smile As we learn to not plagiarize in our homework or projects, we also slowly learn to stand for ourselves and to make our own unique mark. In life, this is very important. =)
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:43 pm

libao.danielleann wrote:
Benitez.Dana wrote:Long and laborious history assignment due tomorrow? Easy! I won't have to roll my eyes and grudgingly get a pen and paper. All I have to do is go online and copy-paste information about the Holocaust or Second World War. Now, I could get an A+ and a good night’s rest, right? Wrong! Unfortunately, I could probably get kicked out, sued and then thrown behind bars. And for what? PLAGIARISM.

I have to admit… When I didn’t know any better, I was guilty of plagiarism. I wasn’t just innocent. I was ignorant. I had no idea it was wrong to carelessly copy something off the internet and make it seem like it was my own work. Yet, as time progressed, I slowly understood the technicalities of using references in doing homework and research. I’m a writer, and it’s crucial for me to be very careful about quoting, citing and referring to different source materials. I can lose my credibility and even integrity. So, I see to it I don’t plagiarize most especially when I’m writing in the school paper. I make sure I quote the right people and mention the sources and references of my article... But it doesn't stop there. I will continue this practice even with simple assignments since the consequences of plagiarism don't exempt anyone no matter what his or her situation is. Plagiarism is a crime. It is considered an act of theft in a subtle but not less evil way. It is immoral to steal, may it be a diamond ring or just a sentence from an author's book. I don't want to be a criminal or immoral at the same time, so I wouldn't plagiarize. Perseverance in making an assignment or research may be a Herculean task, but it isn't impossible. So, a Herculean task, I will fulfill so as not be a violator of the moral code.

Moreover, after reading two different PowerPoint presentations, I was a degree wiser. I learned many new things in the field of search engines and researching a topic. I was also delighted to read the PowerPoint “Wading through the Net” because I found out about new ways to make researching a topic easier. It was really helpful to learn about these since I had no idea I could lighten my load by applying this simple applications in search engines and metasearches. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited to use these new discoveries in making an assignment in the future.

rabbit sunny sunny

NOSEBLEED... You are really correct. Plagiarism is not just a bad thing that can be forgiven by a simple sorry: plagiarism is a sin. Thanks for your insights. I learned a lot.Very Happy

Hahahah! Thank you, Danielle. Smile I'm glad to be able to impart something to you. I also agree with you. Plagiarism also has consequences. Smile
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

reyes.clarisa wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:[justify]When I viewed and read the presentation about plagiarism and search engines, I realized many things.

As I finished studying about plagiarism, I found out that I was guilty of it. Whenever we have research work to do for our classes, I usually just do the simple "copy-paste" technique which leaves me a perfect score with no sweat. Oftentimes, I also tend to miss out on crediting the person or a specific source from which I retrieved my answers. It was only until now that I found out that doing this is exactly committing the crime of plagiarism and consequently violating the rights of the person himself/herself. In many ways, this could cause harm or even danger not only to the one who plagiarized but also to the one whose work has been plagiarized. As budding students, we should not plagiarize since it could damage our reputation and well-off character as well. We should work hard for everything we do, and we should not fully rely on others for our jobs.

very well said, Clarisa! Be proud and confident of what you can do. Don't be afraid to show others what you've got. Be original and don't just copy trends from others. Smile

Thanks, Patty! Smile As we learn to not plagiarize in our homework or projects, we also slowly learn to stand for ourselves and to make our own unique mark. In life, this is very important. =)

"...make our own unique mark." Very powerful words, Iching. Smile Aside from the quote from Judy Garland, these words also touched me because it speaks encouragement and inspiration into my situation right now. Smile
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

aguila.matheressa wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:
Mojares.Richelle wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:
lalusin.aaron wrote:
mercado.patriciaanne wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:So, let's not commit crime. Say no to "copy-paste"-ing. lol!

YEAH! Say no to copy-pasting! cheers

I agree, but saying no is not enough. We also have to act on this pressing issue

I agree with Aaron. We should have self discipline in order to lessen this kind of issue.

I agree. We need to develop self discipline within ourselves to fully say that we are a successful one.

Copying answers from the net or other sources is unavoidable, but as we "paste" our answers in our documents, we should remember to thank the person who helped us by any means in coming up with the answer through mentioning him/her and acknowledging his/her work.

I agree with you, Clarisa. I actually wonder what's so hard about citing one's sources, but whatever it is that keeps us from doing so, let us disregard it from now on. If you are too lazy to include your sources, imagine yourselves in the shoes of whose work you are copying. Will you not work on it? santa rendeer

Thanks, Teresaaaa! Very Happy Yes, and if we deem that typing that itsy bitsy information for a few seconds irrelevant, then we might as well imagine ourselves if our works were the ones not given due credit or recognition while other people use it. It would hurt us much, right? Do we want to hurt other people? Of course, we don't. That's why we should avoid plagiarism at all costs. It may not seem to hurt anybody, but it damages one's self-esteem.
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  mangubat.charlesmico Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Benitez.Dana wrote:
libao.danielleann wrote:
Benitez.Dana wrote:Long and laborious history assignment due tomorrow? Easy! I won't have to roll my eyes and grudgingly get a pen and paper. All I have to do is go online and copy-paste information about the Holocaust or Second World War. Now, I could get an A+ and a good night’s rest, right? Wrong! Unfortunately, I could probably get kicked out, sued and then thrown behind bars. And for what? PLAGIARISM.

I have to admit… When I didn’t know any better, I was guilty of plagiarism. I wasn’t just innocent. I was ignorant. I had no idea it was wrong to carelessly copy something off the internet and make it seem like it was my own work. Yet, as time progressed, I slowly understood the technicalities of using references in doing homework and research. I’m a writer, and it’s crucial for me to be very careful about quoting, citing and referring to different source materials. I can lose my credibility and even integrity. So, I see to it I don’t plagiarize most especially when I’m writing in the school paper. I make sure I quote the right people and mention the sources and references of my article... But it doesn't stop there. I will continue this practice even with simple assignments since the consequences of plagiarism don't exempt anyone no matter what his or her situation is. Plagiarism is a crime. It is considered an act of theft in a subtle but not less evil way. It is immoral to steal, may it be a diamond ring or just a sentence from an author's book. I don't want to be a criminal or immoral at the same time, so I wouldn't plagiarize. Perseverance in making an assignment or research may be a Herculean task, but it isn't impossible. So, a Herculean task, I will fulfill so as not be a violator of the moral code.

Moreover, after reading two different PowerPoint presentations, I was a degree wiser. I learned many new things in the field of search engines and researching a topic. I was also delighted to read the PowerPoint “Wading through the Net” because I found out about new ways to make researching a topic easier. It was really helpful to learn about these since I had no idea I could lighten my load by applying this simple applications in search engines and metasearches. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited to use these new discoveries in making an assignment in the future.

rabbit sunny sunny

NOSEBLEED... You are really correct. Plagiarism is not just a bad thing that can be forgiven by a simple sorry: plagiarism is a sin. Thanks for your insights. I learned a lot.Very Happy

Hahahah! Thank you, Danielle. Smile I'm glad to be able to impart something to you. I also agree with you. Plagiarism also has consequences. Smile

now i feel a lot more guilty that i tried to copy kuya emman's techniques. ^^, and the consequence was....I FAILED, BIGTIME! What a Face
mangubat.charlesmico
mangubat.charlesmico

https://www.facebook.com, greenlaboratory.forummotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 pm

tablada.sharmaine wrote:
Benitez.Dana wrote:I have to admit… When I didn’t know any better, I was guilty of plagiarism. I wasn’t just innocent. I was ignorant. I had no idea it was wrong to carelessly copy something off the internet and make it seem like it was my own work.

Yeah. That why this lesson is very helpful. And I'll tell you all a secret.. this morning, when I saw ms.Obre's instructions, I thought, "What? Plagiarism? ano namang konek nun sa subnetting? Why do we even need to read this powerpoint presentation?!" But then, after reading.. I realized that we should learn from our mistakes like Deynali did. We should do what is right. We should also educate other people on this popular crime so that they, too, will stop committing the mistakes we have been doing in the past.

Thanks for your feedback, Shaboom. Smile You made me smile. Smile You're right, people must open their eyes to the crime they might unconsciously be doing. Very Happy
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Benitez.Dana wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:

I strongly share the same sentiments with you, Iching! Smile I was thinking of the same thing when I was reading the PowerPoint on wading through the net. I was deeply grateful to find out about all these search engines and metasearches. Now researching through the net would be twice faster than it was before. Smile Very Happy

Hi, Dana! Smile I actually didn't know about the "Advanced Search" and "Metasearches" until this morning when I read about those in the presentation Ms. Maan prepared for us. It would really be useful for us especially that one of our major requirements in our last days as 4th year students (AWWW!) is the term paper. Also, when we go to college, more will be required of us especially that we will be more "mature" by that time. In this way, we can prepare ourselves for these things. Razz Smile
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 pm

mangubat.charlesmico wrote:
Benitez.Dana wrote:
libao.danielleann wrote:

rabbit sunny sunny

now i feel a lot more guilty that i tried to copy kuya emman's techniques. ^^, and the consequence was....I FAILED, BIGTIME! What a Face

You copied his techniques?? Hahahahah! Well, I don't think you plagiarized since you we're just learning from him. Besides, you had to help each other in order to succeed. Smile
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  serrano.marieclaire Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:55 pm

After I read the contents of the powerpoint presentations, I have a lot of realizations.
Yes, I am guilty of plagiarism. Whenever there are research works, I just effortlessly "cut and paste" the informations that I need from a source in the internet. I always forget to include the sources. I never thought that my method of researching is plagiarism. Before, I thought that plagiarism is just a minor crime. Now, I realized that it is a form of stealing someone's property so it is important to cite the names of the owner/s or the source/s where I got information that I needed.
serrano.marieclaire
serrano.marieclaire

Back to top Go down

Post  Villanueva.Paoline Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:56 pm

rabbit sunny sunny

As promised, here it goes. Well, what can I say? I do agree. I was ignorant as well. Plagiarism is indeed a crime and we must really avoid committing it.
Villanueva.Paoline
Villanueva.Paoline

Back to top Go down

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:58 pm

reyes.clarisa wrote:
rosuman.edzel wrote:
aldover.meryl wrote:good job prince... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=170426259642935&id=100000180181907 we should spread the word about plagiarism

NO TO PLAGIARISM
it's a means of stealing. To steal is against God...

Nice one!

I like this! Very Happy We should use the net as a means in order to start a campaign against plagiarism! As teens, we use the net everyday, and it is just right that we use it for a good cause. Wink

That's right, Clarisa! I think teenagers top the list of those guilty of plagiarism. If we campaign against plagiarism and practice what we preach, we could prove that teenagers can bring something good to the society. Smile
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  serrano.marieclaire Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 pm

From the powerpoint presentation, I learned that there are other search engines that I can use aside from google and yahoo!. These search engines are very useful especially in locating informations in the internet. After knowing about the other search engines existing in the internet, more informations can be gathered. Also, the access to those informations are not just limited to the two familiar search engines that we have which is google and yahoo!.
serrano.marieclaire
serrano.marieclaire

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 pm

Benitez.Dana wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:

"...make our own unique mark." Very powerful words, Iching. Smile Aside from the quote from Judy Garland, these words also touched me because it speaks encouragement and inspiration into my situation right now. Smile

Actually, REDUNDANT siya, pero yae na. =))))

Go, Dana! I support you! Wink (Parang CLAYGO lang e. XD) HAHAHA. Smile)) SMILE, 'cause I know you are great. Wink
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  natividad.marianne Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:25 pm

i have realized that people often commit plagiarism even unconciously. lack of knowledge and ignorance leads to plagiarism. i admit that though i use the internet very much, there are a lot of things that i have just learned from the powerpoint. i think it is important to teach people, especially students, on how to use citations and such as to avoid plagiarism.

i have been using the internet as a means of researching, but i didn't know until now the different engine searches and searching techniques. it can be of really great help to me in the future.
natividad.marianne
natividad.marianne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10