Online Forum Discussion for Ms. Maan's Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Researching and Plagiarism... LS403

+31
amorado.aimielblessa
lat.angela
maralit.leandro
coloma.kimberly
Buac.Rizabeth
armamento.lulu
silva.pauline
perez.anna
bunyi.eimeren
chua.darwin
bautista.angeli
tyrone.magpantay
pagayunan.faye
labindalawa.dana
bollozos.jane
Aquino. Jestin
mendoza.marlaandrea
bianca.arada
princess.panganiban
vitto.krisha
olap.neriezza
delgado.stephany
Bravo.Cyril
macapagal.frances
barro.anne
mercado.margaret
landicho.czar
manguiat.julie
miguel.karl
gutierrez.gio
Admin
35 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty Re: Online Researching and Plagiarism... LS403

Post  bollozos.jane Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 pm

mendoza.marlaandrea wrote:Plagiarism.. there are many things wrong with it.

The first thing that came to my mind is that the person who committed such crime has no value for hard work. Being against plagiarism is just another way of respecting and appreciating the person who made the original piece. Us humans don't produce anything out of thin air. Anything we make from scratch takes hard work! The next time you take another's work, be sure to cite your source and credit properly. THANK YOU!

Andrea Very Happy

I agree with Andrea. All of us work hard to come up with ideas and then another person comes and takes our ideas as their own. This is frustrating for the one who came up with the idea because when people plagiarize something, they don't have to put any effort while the person who came up with the idea worked hard just to come up with the idea. This is why we should be against plagiarism. Moreover, we should put ourselves in the shoes of others and feel what it is like to come up with an idea only to get it stolen by others. It should also feel very frustrating to you. All of us are intelligent beings that can think up of new ideas. Therefore, rather that plagiarizing a document of another, we should just use our minds and make up our own ideas and if we can't help but to quote someone's work, we should give due credit to the source. Very Happy

bollozos.jane

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty Re: Online Researching and Plagiarism... LS403

Post  bollozos.jane Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:44 pm

bianca.arada wrote: After I have read the PowerPoint about plagiarism, I realized that it is a necessity for us to know this kind of violation so that we can avoid it. Even using your own work without properly citing it is plagiarism. I am guilty of this crime like other students especially when it comes to researching. I just copy and paste it then print without citing any website.

But now I knew the necessary things to avoid this kind of crime, so I can now use these ways like using citations in my research. And I could also use this knowledge of avoiding plagiarism in our thesis in English. Smile

I agree with you Bianca. Since we now know how to avoid plagiarism, we won't be accused of plagiarizing a document as long as we cite and give credit to the source of the quotes. Also, knowing how to avoid plagiarism will come very handy to us in the future since we will be doing research papers not only at our English thesis this year but also in college where we will be asked to do researches in our specialized fields. Surprised

bollozos.jane

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty LESSON LEARNED! :)

Post  labindalawa.dana Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:21 pm

After i have read the presentation about plagiarism, I learned more things about this topic. PLAGIARISM is the copying of one's work without giving credit to the one who owns it. It is a kind of "stealing" which violates the law, specially, the Commandments of God. I can say that this is such an immoral act for no one has the right to steal other's work without any permission from him/her.

I realized that I am also guilty of plagiarism for when our teacher gives us an assignment, etc., I (sometimes) consult the internet for the answer. I "cut-and-paste" all the information I saw, and print it without even mentioning the site or name of who made it.

Now I know the different ways on how to avoid and not to commit plagiarism. One is to ask permission first to the one whom you'll copy his/her work. Second is to always give credit/acknowledgement to the one who made it. Third is to write the references from where you received the information/s. And lastly, the most effective way on how to avoid and not to commit this such act is to USE YOUR OWN WORDS AND IDEAS. That's the best thing YOU CAN and YOU MUST do. Smile

labindalawa.dana

Back to top Go down

Post  labindalawa.dana Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:48 pm

mendoza.marlaandrea wrote:Plagiarism.. there are many things wrong with it.

The first thing that came to my mind is that the person who committed such crime has no value for hard work. Being against plagiarism is just another way of respecting and appreciating the person who made the original piece. Us humans don't produce anything out of thin air. Anything we make from scratch takes hard work! The next time you take another's work, be sure to cite your source and credit properly. THANK YOU!

Andrea Very Happy

I agree with you marla! Very Happy It's one way of respecting and appreciating the person who made the original piece, for you ask permission first to the one who owns it before using his/her work or you give credits/acknowledgement to him/her. Smile Also, we should all work individually for God has given us own minds to think. You can ask others for help but not to literally copy all the things he/she says and does. Smile

labindalawa.dana

Back to top Go down

Post  labindalawa.dana Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 pm

gutierrez.gio wrote: As we all know, plagiarism is "the use of someone's work without giving them credit and saying that it is your own" (Avoiding Palgiarism: Modified APA Style of referencing, slide 1). I believe that Plagiarism an act of stealing because using someone's work without permission is stealing.

Right gio!Smile no one has the right to copy the work of others without any permission given by him/her. Stealing is violating the laws, and one way of committing sins to God! amen! Smile

labindalawa.dana

Back to top Go down

Post  delgado.stephany Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:36 pm

vitto.krisha wrote:Would you steal a bag? Would you rob a bank? Would you steal just for an assignment? Well, to tell everyone honestly, I am guilty of plagiarism. I do it whenever there is a research work needed in school. The top site where I steal ideas is Wikipedia. Well, it's the site that pops out into my mind whenever assignment is needed. Very Happy I'll admit it; I hate it when references are asked. I always forget to put my references so I need to search the sites again so it's very tiresome. But still, it's a crime. Well, I guess, it's another lessoned learned for all of us. Very Happy

I also share the same feeling with you, Krisha. I just copy and paste some researches because it's much easier to do than rephrasing it and giving credit to others. Internet could offer most of our daily research needs, so I guess giving credits for others work is a way of saying, "Thank you for sharing your ideas." I guess it wouldn't hurt to say Thank you to those who helped in making your homework. Razz

delgado.stephany

Back to top Go down

Post  delgado.stephany Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:59 pm

Plagiarism. It is an act of copying ideas and thoughts of others without crediting it to them. We usually commit this crime when we just COPY PASTE information from the internet sites. Most of us, especially the students do this every time we are required to do a research. And I admit that I'm one of them because for me it is easier to just copy.
And maybe, some of us just choose to copy without crediting because we don't know how to credit or cite books, sites, people and some sources properly. The powerpoint about Plagiarism is a great help for those who are lost in the dark. The Powerpoint gave me some ideas like there are many ways in which we can commit plagiarism even though when are not fully aware of it. One example is not citing sources properly by not following the rules. Also, the file made me realize that I'm a theft in a way. :ashamed: Sad
WE CAN AVOID OURSELVES FROM COMMITTING THIS CRIME. Aside from citing sources correctly, we can avoid being sued by using our ideas, words and thoughts. It really wouldn't hurt of we choose to show that we have our own minds and that we can think. THE ORIGINAL IS ALWAYS THE BEST.
This lesson is timely because we're now in the process of making our research paper in English and this is a great help for us for it would guide us in not committing plagiarism AGAIN. Smile)

delgado.stephany

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty INTERNET...A GREAT HELP TO US!

Post  labindalawa.dana Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:09 pm

Internet plays a big role to all of us for it gives us information about the past and the present. It helps us to be aware of the things that is currently happening around us. I realized that internet is more easy to use when researching than using books. It is faster to use and you have more resources where you can look and find what you need. There is also a disadvantage of using the internet as your only source of information. Some information posted on the net are not reliable and may not be true.

Search Engine is the program which allows us to search the Internet. This is the one which gives us links and more references when searching for something. Besides using the net, you can also use online encyclopedias and libraries for researching. After researching, you must always cite your resources where you got the information so you would not commit the so called "plagiarism". Smile

labindalawa.dana

Back to top Go down

Post  pagayunan.faye Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:56 pm

gutierrez.gio wrote: As we all know, plagiarism is "the use of someone's work without giving them credit and saying that it is your own" (Avoiding Palgiarism: Modified APA Style of referencing, slide 1). I believe that Plagiarism an act of stealing because using someone's work without permission is stealing.

AMEN to that, lucky! Failing to properly cite the source of the words and ideas you use in your paper also constitutes plagiarism. I firmly believe that a quote, a picture, a painting or even a graphic design -- all of these things could be plagiarized if you use them without accrediting the inventor.
pagayunan.faye
pagayunan.faye

Back to top Go down

Post  pagayunan.faye Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:10 pm

barro.anne wrote:For me, plagiarism is a form of cheating because it's stealing another person's idea. It can be accidental; you really intended to do your own work, but instead ended up with some sentences that sound just like something you've read. You might not be doing it intentionally, but if you don't identify the original source, you're risking a lot of trouble.So even if you put the information into your own words, you still should list the source. Very Happy Very Happy Smile

I agree with you, katherine! I might be joking myself if I would say that majority of students nowadays are just "unintentionally" committing this kind of act. Because I believe that once you have done this thing, you already know that you already stole someone's idea.
pagayunan.faye
pagayunan.faye

Back to top Go down

Post  pagayunan.faye Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:17 pm

vitto.krisha wrote:Would you steal a bag? Would you rob a bank? Would you steal just for an assignment? Well, to tell everyone honestly, I am guilty of plagiarism. I do it whenever there is a research work needed in school. The top site where I steal ideas is Wikipedia. Well, it's the site that pops out into my mind whenever assignment is needed. Very Happy I'll admit it; I hate it when references are asked. I always forget to put my references so I need to search the sites again so it's very tiresome. But still, it's a crime. Well, I guess, it's another lessoned learned for all of us. Very Happy

"Would you steal a bag? Would you rob a bank? Would you steal just for an assignment?"
These statements bring back to me the clip included in the cd's and dvd's. The clip about MOVIE PIRACY. Smile Piracy can also be associated with plagiarism for the reason that these two acts are kind of STEALING. Piracy steal the authorization of a material by illegally reproducing it-- just like the concept of plagiarism.
pagayunan.faye
pagayunan.faye

Back to top Go down

Post  pagayunan.faye Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:28 pm

barro.anne wrote:I think that cases of plagiarism nowadays are very rampant because of the accessibility of technology. Students tend to plagiarize by copying and pasting information. In just one click, almost all information they need will be downloaded. The emerge of new technology can also be considered as a disadvantage on the issue of plagiarism. The intellectual property of the authors are often abused. It also creates laziness among students who depend on the net. The teachers are expected to be observant and be vigilant with respect to the submitted write-ups from their students. Their role is to inculcate with the students the values of honesty,creativity and integrity. Very Happy

Let the students be aware that plagiarism is a serious one and committing it will have respective sanctions. At early age, we should be educated/trained so that in the future we will become respected professionals of our society. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I agree with you, kath! But, we cannot also put all the blame in the developing techonology for our shameful acts like plagiarism. Committing plagiarism is a choice. It's our option how to maximize the use of technology while still living a rightful life.
pagayunan.faye
pagayunan.faye

Back to top Go down

Post  pagayunan.faye Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Aquino. Jestin wrote:Doing a simple copy/ cut paste work is a crime that every student is guilty of. According to the 7th commandment of our Lord, " Thou shall not steal.", therefore we must not do it. Plagiarism is stealing because with dont give credit to the person who made it. It is like borrowing something and telling other people that that thing is yours. We must let everyone who is the proper person to be credited when we do such thing. Also, plagiarism is wrong. There is no such thing that can be better than an original work, so why duplicate it? We can always make an original work, we have our own minds, we have our own thoughts.

I just love the way you entitled your thought about plagiarism-- it really caught my attention Smile You're definitely right, jestin! God created each and everyone of us differently. In that case, we don't have to copy the ideas and identity of others.
pagayunan.faye
pagayunan.faye

Back to top Go down

Post  tyrone.magpantay Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:41 pm

We all know that one can GOOGLE a school homework question and in many cases find an easy response…

In this simple instance, many of us are committing Plagiarism… we are doing copy and paste act everytime we had homework neglecting to give credit to the site, the author where the information came from. To be honest, I am guilty of this… Plagiarism seems to be one of the most common error students commits in making an assignment, research and the likes. It has been a bad action almost all students repeatedly doing…

tyrone.magpantay

Back to top Go down

Post  tyrone.magpantay Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Here are some ways we could prevent committing PLAGIARISM:

1. Give credit where credit is due. Inevitably, you will use other people's discoveries and concepts. Build on them creatively. But do not compromise your honor by failing to acknowledge clearly where your work ends and that of someone else begins.

2. Provide proper citation for everything taken from others. Such material includes interpretations, ideas, wording, insights, factual discoveries, charts, tables, and appendices that are not your own. Citations must guide the reader clearly and explicitly to the sources used, whether published, unpublished, or electronic. Cite a source each time you borrow from it. A single citation, concluding or followed by extended borrowing, is inadequate and misleading. Indicate all use of another's words, even if they constitute only part of a sentence, with quotation marks and specific citation. Citations may be footnotes, endnotes, or parenthetical references.

3. Recognize the work of others even if you are not borrowing their words. Theories, interpretations, assessments, and judgments are all intellectual contributions made by others and must be attributed to them.

4. Paraphrase properly. Paraphrasing is a vehicle for conveying or explaining a source's ideas and requires a citation to the original source. A paraphrase captures the source's meaning and tone in your own words and sentence structure. In a paraphrase, the words are yours, but the ideas are not. It should not be used to create the impression of originality.

5. Cite sources in all work submitted for credit. Your instructor may also require you to identify the contributions of others in drafts you submit only for review. Ask your instructor for his or her citation requirements and any discipline-specific attribution practices.

6. Be cautious when using web-based sources, including Internet sites and electronic journals. There is a common misperception that information found on the Internet does not need to be cited. Web-based information, even if anonymous, must be appropriately cited. Do not cut and paste or otherwise take material from websites without proper citation.

7. Provide a citation when in doubt. Always err on the side of caution.

source: http://www.usna.edu/Library/Plagiarism/Plagiarism.html

Citing the sources should be a part of our habit whenever we do researches... in this way, we could prevent plagiarism. Plagiarism is a form cheating and dishonesty.

tyrone.magpantay

Back to top Go down

Post  mercado.margaret Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:02 pm

tyrone.magpantay wrote:We all know that one can GOOGLE a school homework question and in many cases find an easy response…

In this simple instance, many of us are committing Plagiarism… we are doing copy and paste act everytime we had homework neglecting to give credit to the site, the author where the information came from. To be honest, I am guilty of this… Plagiarism seems to be one of the most common error students commits in making an assignment, research and the likes. It has been a bad action almost all students repeatedly doing…

Honestly speaking, like you Ty, I'm also guilty of Plagiarism. Neutral Maybe I've done this for a thousand times since I was in Grade 5 up to present. Imagine that now, after comprehending with the PPT about Plagiarism, was the only time I have realized that I can be sued for this is considered as a CRIME. Oh my! Neutral Such a shame..

mercado.margaret

Back to top Go down

Post  tyrone.magpantay Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:05 pm

labindalawa.dana wrote:USE YOUR OWN WORDS AND IDEAS[/u]. That's the best thing YOU CAN and YOU MUST do. Smile

i do agree with you dana... Original work was still the best... all of us are capable of doing essays, writing reflections, making storylines and others... BUT many of us do not exercise their skills. instead, many tend to sit in front of their pc, search the web and copy ideas from someone's work. i think LAZINESS is a contributing factor why there are many cases of plagiarism. the We must do use our own ideas and not be too dependent on the works on internet and claim those works as your own.

tyrone.magpantay

Back to top Go down

Post  tyrone.magpantay Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Laziness and "too busy doing something" were some, i think, of the common alibi of students why they commit plagiarism. If an essay is required about a certain topic, one would do copy an introductory paragraph from a certain site, the body of the essay on the other, and a conclusion on a different site. After doing this, there is an INSTANT essay that has been produced with just patching up paragraphs from different sites.

Laziness and "too busy doing something" were not an excuse in committing plagiarism...

tyrone.magpantay

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty Plagiarism is kinda hurting, you know. ;))

Post  mercado.margaret Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Plagiarism deals with the issue of ORIGINALITY. And, if you found out that someone copied your work without asking any permission from you, sure thing that you'll be bugged out by this kind of situation. For me, Plagiarism is a sort of "copying"... Even I, experienced Plagiarism. What I mean is, someone did plagiarized or copied my own idea without even asking any permission from me. I was really mad that time for I thought that my idea was really unique and that I would not allow any one to steal that brilliant idea.. Until, that day came. Neutral

With this kind of experience, I have realized and somehow reflected that its kinda hurting when someone does not acknowledge you especially when you know that you did a great part for them. For me, that's what you call PLAGIARISM.

mercado.margaret

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty Plagiarism is kinda hurting, you know. ;))

Post  mercado.margaret Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Plagiarism deals with the issue of ORIGINALITY. And, if you found out that someone copied your work without asking any permission from you, sure thing that you'll be bugged out by this kind of situation. For me, Plagiarism is a sort of "copying"... Even I, experienced Plagiarism. What I mean is, someone did plagiarized or copied my own idea without even asking any permission from me. I was really mad that time for I thought that my idea was really unique and that I would not allow any one to steal that brilliant idea.. Until, that day came. Neutral

With this kind of experience, I have realized and somehow reflected that its kinda hurting when someone does not acknowledge you especially when you know that you did a great part for them. For me, that's what you call PLAGIARISM.

mercado.margaret

Back to top Go down

Post  mercado.margaret Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:24 pm

delgado.stephany wrote:
WE CAN AVOID OURSELVES FROM COMMITTING THIS CRIME. Aside from citing sources correctly, we can avoid being sued by using our ideas, words and thoughts. It really wouldn't hurt of we choose to show that we have our own minds and that we can think. THE ORIGINAL IS ALWAYS THE BEST.

I agree with you Steph! Smile Yes we could avoid Plagiarism if we want to! After all, its just a matter of SELF-CONTROL and RESPECT FOR OTHERS' WORK. Smile I also agree that Original would always be the best! Its a nice feeling that you've come up with your own unique idea rather than copying the work of others just to say that you have produced something too. :>

mercado.margaret

Back to top Go down

Post  mercado.margaret Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 pm

princess.panganiban wrote:
landicho.czar wrote:My gosh! I realize that sometimes, I do this very wrong thing. It is stealing of others work. It is against the natural law. We should ask for permission or we should give them credits as we use their works.
O my gosh! Smile) Don't worry Czar, not only you committed the same CRIME. We are all, I think guilty of plagiarism. So now is the time to say no to plagiarism for it is against the natural law. :>

hahaha! I agree to both of you, Pintet and Czar. We are all guilty of Plagiarism...But now, I think that we have learned our lesson: ASKING PERMISSION and GIVING CREDITS are ESSENTIAL for us not to be sued because of this crime. :> Now, we know what to do the next time! Very Happy

mercado.margaret

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty PLAGIARISM: AN INDECENT WORK!

Post  bautista.angeli Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:12 pm

Internet nowadays is the best source of making our researches, assignments and projects in exchange to encyclopedias and libraries. We can get all our needed informations and answers anything under the sun from the internet. As we accomplished our task, we are happy to have the best on our hand for our researches, assignments and projects to be submitted to our teacher. From this point of view, we forgot complementing the real owner of the ideas from where we get our informations and answers. Now that I have a knowledge about PLAGIARISM, I am ashamed of this indecent work. I must admit and realized that I am one of the students that do not aware of what is plagiarism and now that I am aware of it, I will try my best not to commit this indecent work which can lead to a crime...

bautista.angeli

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty WADING THROUGH THE NET: POWERFUL TOOL!

Post  bautista.angeli Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:33 am

Searching through the internet really help us students to make our awareness more exciting on all the topics we want to know. Surfing through the net gave us all the information we need to know. At first, It was hard for me to have a satisfied answer on all the topics I have to search. I cannot easily found the best results for my research, until I watched the power point presentation of "WADING THROUGH THE NET". For me, it was a powerful tool to surf on the net because it gave me knowledge about search engines, internet searching and citing sources. With these, it lessen my time to search on the topic I want. I can go directly to the point of my research to have a satisfied answer. Being a student, these lesson on wading through the net makes my journey to surf more exciting and meaningful. Of course, do not forget to avoid plagiarism.

bautista.angeli

Back to top Go down

Online Researching and Plagiarism...  LS403 - Page 2 Empty i've learned much much

Post  chua.darwin Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 am

i have found new sites new search engine this sites will me to do my assignment, projects, and research papers. and by studying plagiarism i can do my works without stealing others work

chua.darwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next