Online Forum Discussion for Ms. Maan's Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

+36
ng.justine
reyes.chariemarie
aguila.matheressa
adao.prince
arcega.patricia
reyes.clarisa
fabregas.bianca
favorada.immyfelyss
Mojares.Richelle
cuenca.catherine
libao.danielleann
tablada.sharmaine
ilagan.magillene
mayo.raizza
bautista.aimeedresa
bolaños.jerelyn
Salamanca.Patricia
ty.rishina
dimaandal.roma
mercado.patriciaanne
Flores.Audrey
mangubat.charlesmico
dimaculangan.kerenkristel
Niña Keith B. Viterbo
ortaliza.kevin
lalusin.aaron
dinglasan.joycebelle
sangalang.dianejoy
Villanueva.Paoline
guevarra.mariaquita
hernandez.jaerelle
aldover.meryl
Abrenica.MarkKevin
burog.jomarigabriel
marquez.litzmichaela
Admin
40 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  Admin Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 am

Note: If links in the powerpoint file Wading through the Net does'nt work just skip. doing the given activity. Thank you.

Admin
Admin

http://glendaobre.bestoforum.net

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  marquez.litzmichaela Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:00 am

After reading the ppt presentation about Plagiarism, I realized that I plagiarize every now and then. Whenever there are assignments to be reasearched, I just do the usual "cut and paste" method especially from sources like Wiki and yahoo! answers.

I can't avoid Plagiarism because of the numerous assignments to be submitted in just a nick of time and with so many things to do, it's very hard to cite the sources from which I got the information because of the so many things I have to do.

I normally just rephrase the answer I got from them then I just print it. Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called cheating.

Last edited by marquez.litzmichaela on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
marquez.litzmichaela
marquez.litzmichaela

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty what???

Post  burog.jomarigabriel Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 am

As I read the powerpoint presentation about plagiarism and "Wading through the Net," I realized several things.

First of all, about the plagiarism. I couldn't believe that I am guilty of dropping it frequently. As a student, I prefer doing things rapidly, so that I have more time to do other things, especially when assignmentrs are piling up. So, research techincally means "the process of Google-ing a subject, clicking Wikipedia, copying, and pasting it top word. Add your name on top, and voila! Research." That is research. I never knew it was plagiarism.

One reason maybe, students commit plagiarism because citing references seem to be a tedious thing to do. The five-minute research will turn into a one-hour researchg when we cite. The 55-minute that we can spend doing other things was spent in a thing we can skip. In this fast-paced world, time is essential, and nobody can bother to spend a "few seconds."

About the wading the net powerpoint. I never knew several search engines existed which could provide me BETTER results than the one I frequently use, like Google and Yahoo!. The searchg engine that intirgues me most is the brainboost.com. Like I said, time is essential. And when you are running out of time, you prefer to know EXACTLY what you want to know, unlike the vast coverage of things in Wikipedia. By asking a specific question, one can reduce an hour of "researching" to a 20 minute quick read. It seems benefitial. I intend to give the site a visit as soon as I have the time. Who knows? Maybe I can get more accurate results in cactisearch, vivisimo, and brainboost. They narrow a subject to topics, which can easily be read, rather the varied results in the more famous search engines.

burog.jomarigabriel
burog.jomarigabriel

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  Abrenica.MarkKevin Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:07 am

Plagiarism is immoral because it violates the Natural law. It is like stealing others work for our own good.

Using other's work is okay as long as we ask permission and give credit to their owners

We should be careful in doing the ' copy paste ' move because it is a crime!

Try to believe in our work, say no to plagiarism!

Abrenica.MarkKevin

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty Plagiarism - a crime

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 am

You commit a crime without knowing it whenever you cut and paste some articles in your research works without even giving credit to the site or the author of the said article.

Plagiarism in one word: STEALING

If plagiarism:stealing::stealing:bad then plagiarism is BAD...
Why do we do this?
sometimes, we are not conscious that we commit these, but as we read the powerpoint about plagiarism, we found ourselves guilty of it.

How can we avoid this?
We should give credit to the one who ORIGINALLY made the article.
We should apply our knowledge in quoting statements from other people.

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

thou shall not steal!
thou shall not plagiarize!

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

it's not wrong to ask help from others, but they deserve a simple thanks in the form of giving credits to them Very Happy
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  hernandez.jaerelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:08 am

Plagiarism is a mortal sin in writing reasearch papers and other articles. It is the stealing of words or ideas of others for personal benefits. It is a serious crime and many people all over the world are sued because of this.To avoid the increasing cases of plagiarism, people invented different styles of citations where you give credit to the source of information and give acknowledgement to the creator of an idea.

hernandez.jaerelle

Back to top Go down

Post  burog.jomarigabriel Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 am

aldover.meryl wrote:it's not wrong to ask help from others, but they deserve a simple thanks in the form of giving credits to them Very Happy
w
well said. A simple thank you is the simplest form of acknowledging their work.
burog.jomarigabriel
burog.jomarigabriel

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty Plagiarism? A little bit guilty; wading through the net? thanks. it's very helpful. :)

Post  guevarra.mariaquita Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 am

Plagiarism? A little bit guilty.

When doing reasearch assignments or any other school related stuffs, I am always a little bit guilty of plagiarism. Back then, I always thought that once I "patched-up" the info I needed from the Internet, it's already a research paper and I could already pass it. I thought that since it was from different sites and I didn't copy all of their works, it is not yet a plagiarism. It's now a false assumption, e? Very Happy

While reading the ppt, not only did I noticed my mistakes but also I learned new things. I never knew that there is a self-plagiarism! I thought that plagiarism could only occur if you copied someone else's work. I never thought that plagiarism could also occur if you didn't cite your own work properly.

It's really true what's been said in the ppt that if you don't read, you don't learn. I will never be able to learn these new things and be cautious next time I do something. Smile

Wading through the net? Thanks. It's very helpful.
It's true that getting informations on books are more reliable than getting informations on the net. You can never know if those info are manipulated and what you are reading is wrong. However, searching info on books are really time consuming and with how the world revolves right now, going to the library is not an option any more. With the advances of technology, you can now get the info you need in just a click! Smile

I thought that google, yahoo or msn is the best way to search the net. But then, I never knew that certain metasearch engines existed. They are used to search google, yahoo and msn all at once! What an efficient way to do your assignments! Smile

Other than that, what's also written in the ppt is very helpful in terms of writing a term paper. Since we were now in our last year of high school and that writing a term paper is now a requirement, having a background on how to cite the different soures you had used to avoid plagiarism is a big help. Not only we can use these info this year, but also we can use it when we reach college and even when we are getting our masteral or doctoral degree. Smile
guevarra.mariaquita
guevarra.mariaquita

Back to top Go down

Post  Villanueva.Paoline Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 am

marquez.litzmichaela wrote:After reading the ppt presentation about Plagiarism, I realized that I plagiarize every now and then. Whenever there are assignments to be reasearched, I just do the usual "cut and paste" method especially from sources like Wiki and yahoo! answers.

I can't avoid Plagiarism because of the numerous assignments to be submitted in just a nick of time and with so many things to do, it's very hard to cite the sources from which I got the information because of the so many things I have to do.

I normally just rephrase the answer I got from them then I just print it. Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called <I>cheating</I>.

I agree with you Litz, I too am guilty of plagiarism. I know now that there are several ways for me to avoid committing plagiarism so as to avoid being punished as well.
Villanueva.Paoline
Villanueva.Paoline

Back to top Go down

Post  sangalang.dianejoy Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 am

marquez.litzmichaela wrote:After reading the ppt presentation about Plagiarism, I realized that I plagiarize every now and then. Whenever there are assignments to be reasearched, I just do the usual "cut and paste" method especially from sources like Wiki and yahoo! answers.

I normally just rephrase the answer I got from them then I just print it. Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called <I>cheating</I>.

I too, had done plagiarism through the assignments most especially the research works. I just copy and paste an information sited in a website, proceed to the another website, then copy and paste again.
sangalang.dianejoy
sangalang.dianejoy

Back to top Go down

Post  guevarra.mariaquita Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 am

Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:Plagiarism is immoral because it violates the Natural law. It is like stealing others work for our own good.

Wow. It's nice to hear those words from you, MK. Wink
guevarra.mariaquita
guevarra.mariaquita

Back to top Go down

Post  dinglasan.joycebelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 am

hernandez.jaerelle wrote:Plagiarism is a mortal sin.

I totally agree Smile
dinglasan.joycebelle
dinglasan.joycebelle

Back to top Go down

Post  guevarra.mariaquita Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 am

Villanueva.Paoline wrote:

I agree with you Litz, I too am guilty of plagiarism. I know now that there are several ways for me to avoid committing plagiarism so as to avoid being punished as well.

Acknowledging someone's work is not a very hard thing to do. Just a simple credit and thank you will suffice. Smile
guevarra.mariaquita
guevarra.mariaquita

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty Plagiarism and Wading through the Net

Post  lalusin.aaron Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 am

After reading the presentations, I felt guilty because I may have committed plagiarism because back then I did not properly cite my resources whenever I do research works. Also, I did not realize until now that self-plagiarism existed. I now realize how bad plagiarism is and I will now strive to avoid this heinous crime against intellectual property. Plagiarism and stealing are not that different from one another and I learned this because of the powerpoint presentation that i viewed. Plagiarism is wide spread mainly because people do not know what plagiarism is and what the negative effects of plagiarism are. Thanks the presentation, I know know how to properly cite my references and I have now joined the fight against the theft of intellectual property because I believe that plagiarism affects not only the people in our immediate vicinity, it also affects thos innocent poeple who have worked hard in order to share their knowledge with the world yet their efforts are not even recognized.

Because of the presentation "Wading through the Net", I have learned a great deal about the different search engines and how to use them. Also, I learned about how to properly search the internet for information and how to discover if the information on a specific website is reliable or not. Because of this, I am now more careful about what I believe is true on the internet. I also learned how to properly cite my references and because of this I will help avoid plagiarism. I also learned how to properly cite an internet resource.

I learned a lot from the two presentations and I now have a greater respect for each and everyone's personal property, be it material or intellectual.

lalusin.aaron

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty REPZ

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 am

marquez.litzmichaela wrote:

Next time, we need to be coscious of this issue.
I too am guilty of this. "SOURCES" should be credited and the people behind them..

LESSON LEARNED
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  hernandez.jaerelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 am

Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:' copy paste '

Other term for plagiarism.

hernandez.jaerelle

Back to top Go down

Post  guevarra.mariaquita Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 am

sangalang.dianejoy wrote:

I too, had done plagiarism through the assignments most especially the research works. I just copy and paste an information sited in a website, proceed to the another website, then copy and paste again.

I'm also guilty in doing the cut and paste method. Very Happy
guevarra.mariaquita
guevarra.mariaquita

Back to top Go down

Post  lalusin.aaron Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 am

Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:Plagiarism is immoral because it violates the Natural law. It is like stealing others work for our own good.

Using other's work is okay as long as we ask permission and give credit to their owners

We should be careful in doing the ' copy paste ' move because it is a crime!

I agree. nothing good can come from stealing.

lalusin.aaron

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 am

dinglasan.joycebelle wrote:
hernandez.jaerelle wrote:Plagiarism is a mortal sin.

I totally agree Smile

ayieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee XD

aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  burog.jomarigabriel Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 am

These only implies that students who commit these, have no idea that they are violating one of the ten commandments. Stealing, in every sense, in every aspect, whatever the reaon, whatever the purpose is BAD! Whether it is stealing of words from the net, (without the proper citation, of course) it is stealing! So no to plagiarism! Very Happy

Last edited by burog.jomarigabriel on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
burog.jomarigabriel
burog.jomarigabriel

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty Copy and paste

Post  ortaliza.kevin Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 am

Good thing I read the ppt about plagiarism. I did not know that a simple copy and paste from the internet could be a major problem. Anyone of any age could be involved in this crime. We can avoid plagiarism by using our own words and ideas. We should always give credit to the source where you got the information. ALWAYS remember to give credit to the owner!! I was always plagiarizing before, but now I know, I will always cite the name of the source.

Last edited by ortaliza.kevin on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

ortaliza.kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  lalusin.aaron Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 am

sangalang.dianejoy wrote:

Me too! I was naive before and I did not think that there was anything wrong with simply copying and pasting

lalusin.aaron

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net Empty o_o

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 am

hernandez.jaerelle wrote:

i agree....

We should not make it a habit that whenever we have research works, we seldom cite the sources.
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  hernandez.jaerelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:17 am

marquez.litzmichaela wrote: Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called cheating.

Jrel likes this

hernandez.jaerelle

Back to top Go down

Post  burog.jomarigabriel Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 am

hernandez.jaerelle wrote:

correct.
burog.jomarigabriel
burog.jomarigabriel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next