Online Forum Discussion for Ms. Maan's Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

+36
ng.justine
reyes.chariemarie
aguila.matheressa
adao.prince
arcega.patricia
reyes.clarisa
fabregas.bianca
favorada.immyfelyss
Mojares.Richelle
cuenca.catherine
libao.danielleann
tablada.sharmaine
ilagan.magillene
mayo.raizza
bautista.aimeedresa
bolaños.jerelyn
Salamanca.Patricia
ty.rishina
dimaandal.roma
mercado.patriciaanne
Flores.Audrey
mangubat.charlesmico
dimaculangan.kerenkristel
Niña Keith B. Viterbo
ortaliza.kevin
lalusin.aaron
dinglasan.joycebelle
sangalang.dianejoy
Villanueva.Paoline
guevarra.mariaquita
hernandez.jaerelle
aldover.meryl
Abrenica.MarkKevin
burog.jomarigabriel
marquez.litzmichaela
Admin
40 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 8 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  Villanueva.Paoline Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm

aldover.meryl wrote:You commit a crime without knowing it whenever you cut and paste some articles in your research works without even giving credit to the site or the author of the said article.

Plagiarism in one word: STEALING

If plagiarism:stealing::stealing:bad then plagiarism is BAD...
Why do we do this?
sometimes, we are not conscious that we commit these, but as we read the powerpoint about plagiarism, we found ourselves guilty of it.

How can we avoid this?
We should give credit to the one who ORIGINALLY made the article.
We should apply our knowledge in quoting statements from other people.

Yeah! Plagiarism is bad. We must avoid committing it. By just giving credit we can not only thank them ,but also save ourselves from the consequences of committing plagiarism
Villanueva.Paoline
Villanueva.Paoline

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 8 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  Villanueva.Paoline Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 pm

[quote="lalusin.aaron"]
adao.prince wrote:
dimaandal.roma wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." cheers

that's true! Smile I remember what Aaron told me years ago, he said: "Don't you want them to like you because you are you and not because you're someone else?" Learn to be yourself. Don't plagiarize! Smile)

I agree to both of you..... WE should not imitate other people just to impress others... we should learn to be ourselves.... SAY NO TO PLAGIARISM. Neutral

haha. thank you roma for recognizing my effort. that shows how much we have learned about plagiarism and i agree that we really should learn to be ourselves and we should be proud of our own accomplishments

I agree that we should be proud of our OWN accomplishments. I just would like to add that copying is indeed bad. SAY NO TO COPYING. SAY NO TO PLAGIARISM!!
Villanueva.Paoline
Villanueva.Paoline

Back to top Go down

Post  Villanueva.Paoline Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:25 pm

reyes.chariemarie wrote:
sangalang.dianejoy wrote:
Assignments, Research works, what else?

When a teacher gives an assignment to be researched in the internet, most students like me, just do the copy and paste method. I am so happy that I am able to save much time than constructing my own opinion, known information, in a paragraph.

This is so true Diane! I am also guilty of plagiarism especially when we are given a lot of assignments since it only takes us a second in copying and pasting the given .

I too am guilty of it. Copy Paste method does save a lot of time and effort ,but it would certainly not save ourselves from paying for the consequences.
Villanueva.Paoline
Villanueva.Paoline

Back to top Go down

Post  ng.justine Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:25 pm

rosuman.edzel wrote:
hernandez.jaerelle wrote:
Niña Keith B. Viterbo wrote:
ortaliza.kevin wrote:
Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:' copy paste '

Other term for plagiarism.

You are very correct!!
See?

oh. i see..
Plagiarism is the easiest crime of all. Just high-light on some words, right click and select copy.

...paste, and print. Easy crime.

Yes, Plagiarism is indeed an easy crime but we all know that every actions we make have their corresponding consequences right? So now that we know that plagiarism is a crime and is punishable by law, we might as well think twice before we do it so as not to suffer its consequences and regret our actions.
ng.justine
ng.justine

Back to top Go down

Post  aguila.matheressa Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:27 pm

ng.justine wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:
lalusin.aaron wrote:I will now strive to avoid this heinous crime against intellectual property.

That's right, Aaron. Be a role model to others. Stop plagiarizing. Very Happy Very Happy

I agree with you guys! Let the change start in ourselves, let us be a good role model for others to follow! Say no to Plagiarism! cheers

Yes, you're all correct. As Lasallians, each one of us should be a good example to one another. Let us work hand in hand to denounce this act that is already very common to students like us. Do not hesitate to stop your friends and classmates once you see them plagiarizing. Furthermore, help them to change their old habits. santa rendeer
aguila.matheressa
aguila.matheressa

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm

hernandez.jaerelle wrote:Plagiarism is a mortal sin in writing reasearch papers and other articles. It is the stealing of words or ideas of others for personal benefits. It is a serious crime and many people all over the world are sued because of this.To avoid the increasing cases of plagiarism, people invented different styles of citations where you give credit to the source of information and give acknowledgement to the creator of an idea.

yes. BUT we should not stop by just knowing about plagiarism and the ways to avoid committing it. We should apply these citations especially now that we are bombarded by different assignments and research works. Thanks for sharing your learning to us.

[YEHEY! I just avoided plagiarism by QUOTING your reflection.Very Happy]
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.chariemarie Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:32 pm

Salamanca.Patricia wrote:

LET US SAY NO TO PLAGIARISM NOW!!!! Very Happy

Yes Patty! SAY NO TO COPY-PASTING!! We have to learn to avoid committing plagiarism Smile
reyes.chariemarie
reyes.chariemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.chariemarie Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 pm

marquez.litzmichaela wrote:
dimaandal.roma wrote:After reading the powerpoint presentations, I had a guilty feeling inside me. I reflected for sometime and realized that I AM GUILTY of Plagiarism. It's hard to accept the fact that I am a thief. However, I won't deny it either.

Plagiarism lessens our burdens. Simple copy - paste, print and then bye bye computer, but this kind of work degrades our being because we only depend on the work of others. We can't stand by ourselves! Though one can get high grades by copying good works of others, still, the feeling will be incomplete.

Tell me, can you be happy for a work you didn't do? can you be contented with a project you didn't put any effort on? can you sleep at night when you know that someone worked hard for that project and you're the one who's getting the compliments? Tell me. Smile

It's true roma! I'm also guilty of plagiarism and if I haven't read all about plagiarism in this ppt, I wouldn't have known that what I am accustomed to doing is bad.

I agree with both of you. I got used to doing the copy-paste method without even knowing that this was against the law! Let this all be a lesson for us and stop plagiarism by following all the rules (using your own words, citing sources, etc.) Smile
reyes.chariemarie
reyes.chariemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  ng.justine Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:36 pm

lalusin.aaron wrote:
mercado.patriciaanne wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:So, let's not commit crime. Say no to "copy-paste"-ing. lol!

YEAH! Say no to copy-pasting! cheers

I agree, but saying no is not enough. We also have to act on this pressing issue

Aaron is absolutely right! Saying No to Plagiarism isn't enough, remember that action speaks louder than words. We must be able to stop plagiarism not only through our words but more importantly through our actions. But in what ways can we stop plagiarism through our actions? Simple, being an individual who does not involve himself to this kind of crime and serving as a good role model for others to follow is one way of saying no to plagiarism through our actions.
ng.justine
ng.justine

Back to top Go down

Post  aguila.matheressa Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 pm

reyes.chariemarie wrote:
sangalang.dianejoy wrote:
Assignments, Research works, what else?

When a teacher gives an assignment to be researched in the internet, most students like me, just do the copy and paste method. I am so happy that I am able to save much time than constructing my own opinion, known information, in a paragraph.

This is so true Diane! I am also guilty of plagiarism especially when we are given a lot of assignments since it only takes us a second in copying and pasting the given .

I, too, has engaged myself to plagiarism many times before since i did not know it was plagiarism. Now that we are enlightened about the different forms of plagiarism, let us try our best to avoid it. I know it will not be easy but if we will do it together, it is going to be just a piece of cake. santa rendeer
aguila.matheressa
aguila.matheressa

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.chariemarie Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:42 pm

favorada.immyfelyss wrote:
no two persons can have exactly the same idea, not even twins, so if you think plagiarizing doesn't hurt, why don't you try to put yourself to the author's shoes.

I agree with you Immy... I would definitely feel annoyed when somebody copies my answer. Same thing goes to the authors who have generously shared their knowledge to us but if we just copy their answer without even acknowledging them, it is too unfair. They were the ones who worked hard in getting that information, not us. So, let's not commit plagiarism! Smile
reyes.chariemarie
reyes.chariemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:45 pm

lalusin.aaron wrote:After reading the presentations, I felt guilty because I may have committed plagiarism because back then I did not properly cite my resources whenever I do research works. Also, I did not realize until now that self-plagiarism existed. I now realize how bad plagiarism is and I will now strive to avoid this heinous crime against intellectual property. Plagiarism and stealing are not that different from one another and I learned this because of the powerpoint presentation that i viewed. Plagiarism is wide spread mainly because people do not know what plagiarism is and what the negative effects of plagiarism are. Thanks the presentation, I know know how to properly cite my references and I have now joined the fight against the theft of intellectual property because I believe that plagiarism affects not only the people in our immediate vicinity, it also affects thos innocent poeple who have worked hard in order to share their knowledge with the world yet their efforts are not even recognized.

Because of the presentation "Wading through the Net", I have learned a great deal about the different search engines and how to use them. Also, I learned about how to properly search the internet for information and how to discover if the information on a specific website is reliable or not. Because of this, I am now more careful about what I believe is true on the internet. I also learned how to properly cite my references and because of this I will help avoid plagiarism. I also learned how to properly cite an internet resource.

I learned a lot from the two presentations and I now have a greater respect for each and everyone's personal property, be it material or intellectual.

I too. I really didn't know that I am plagiarizing other's work by copying and pasting different info in the net. I thought of plagiarism in a different way. Neutral Yes, we should not be of credit for others' work. Thanks, Aaron.
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojares.Richelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:49 pm

dimaandal.roma wrote:Plagiarism lessens our burdens. Simple copy - paste, print and then bye bye computer, but this kind of work degrades our being because we only depend on the work of others. We can't stand by ourselves! Though one can get high grades by copying good works of others, still, the feeling will be incomplete.)

I agree with you, Roma. We must learned to be independent and stand by ourselves.
Mojares.Richelle
Mojares.Richelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ng.justine Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:50 pm

reyes.clarisa wrote:
As actress and singer Judy Garland says, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." cheers

You are so right TamaBuds! It's really better to be true and to be you rather than living a life pretending to be someone else whom you are not. Just like in the requirements in school that we submit, doesn't it make you feel better and more proud if you get a high score because you submitted your OWN work rather because you submitted a "patch up" work or worst because you submitted the work of others?
ng.justine
ng.justine

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.chariemarie Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:51 pm

tablada.sharmaine wrote:
ty.rishina wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:My realization after reading the powerpoint about plagiarism is that i'm guilty of it. Whenever we have assignments that involved research, i just "copy-paste" informations from different sites and that's it. That's my assignment. For me, that's the easiest way to accomplish an assignment.

Yea. I agree with you, Len. We always strive for things to make OUR life better. What about others?

So now, let's just all say sorry for those "copy-pasted" works we submitted in the past! Smile)

I agree! Let us all learn from the past... If we start now in not committing plagiarism, we would be able to surpass all those works we copied and pasted in the past. It's not too late! In fact, we have all our time especially in our future term papers and research works Smile
reyes.chariemarie
reyes.chariemarie

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Niña Keith B. Viterbo wrote:I normally just rephrase the answer I got from them then I just print it. Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called <I>cheating</I>.

bad for you litz:)))

Ninya! That's plagiarism... Neutral No quotation marks that these sentences are from Litz.. Awwww...
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 pm

marquez.litzmichaela wrote: Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called cheating.

Jrel likes this

Yieeeeee..Smile) Anyway, Litz, you are right that through copy-paste method, we can do our research works quickly. We can save time and effort in doing this, but this act isn't right. We should not be cheating because cheating other people is also cheating ourselves.
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:55 pm

ng.justine wrote:
rosuman.edzel wrote:For me, stealing someone's intellect is way worse than stealing material things.

You are right Edzel! stealing other's work of intellect is worse than stealing their material possessions because something that is a product of our hard work, effort, time, and intellect is priceless that nobody can buy and replace in any other way.

good point...

nothing can be compared to the fruit of one's labor and effort.. If someone would steal or take credit of you're work... that's worse than stealing a wallet from you
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:57 pm

rosuman.edzel wrote:
Niña Keith B. Viterbo wrote:
ortaliza.kevin wrote:
Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:' copy paste '

Other term for plagiarism.

You are very correct!!
See?

oh. i see..
Plagiarism is the easiest crime of all. Just high-light on some words, right click and select copy.

...paste, and print. Easy crime.

it's an easy crime that's why it's hard to avoid but this shouldn't be the reason.

MAKE YOUR MINDS WORK.!... don't plagiarize
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

marquez.litzmichaela wrote:
I normally just rephrase the answer I got from them then I just print it. Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called cheating.

This is true. Sometimes, in our hurry to finish all our assigned tasks, we forget to do the essential things, like citing our sources for our research works. Indeed, this is cheating at its minor form, and cheating is certainly not good because it may hurt other people or one's self, too.
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

reyes.chariemarie wrote:
favorada.immyfelyss wrote:
no two persons can have exactly the same idea, not even twins, so if you think plagiarizing doesn't hurt, why don't you try to put yourself to the author's shoes.

I agree with you Immy... I would definitely feel annoyed when somebody copies my answer. Same thing goes to the authors who have generously shared their knowledge to us but if we just copy their answer without even acknowledging them, it is too unfair. They were the ones who worked hard in getting that information, not us. So, let's not commit plagiarism! Smile

that's right....
i agree

let's be sensitive..
Efforts should credited,.. not ignored.
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojares.Richelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm

bolaños.jerelyn wrote:
lalusin.aaron wrote:
mercado.patriciaanne wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:So, let's not commit crime. Say no to "copy-paste"-ing. lol!

YEAH! Say no to copy-pasting! cheers

I agree, but saying no is not enough. We also have to act on this pressing issue

I agree with Aaron. We should have self discipline in order to lessen this kind of issue.

I agree. We need to develop self discipline within ourselves to fully say that we are a successful one.
Mojares.Richelle
Mojares.Richelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Salamanca.Patricia Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm

guevarra.mariaquita wrote:
Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:Plagiarism is immoral because it violates the Natural law. It is like stealing others work for our own good.
Try to believe in our work, say no to plagiarism!

Wow. It's nice to hear those words from you, MK. Wink

Indeed, it is nice of you, MK to relate plagiarism with the laws of morality which is a very timely issue nowadays.
Salamanca.Patricia
Salamanca.Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:02 pm

dimaculangan.kerenkristel wrote:After reading the powerpoint about conducting research on the internet, I realized that internet is really advantageous in our world today. In just an instant, one will be provided with what he/she is looking for. I also knew that there are a lot of search engines that can provide us with the information that we need.

Plagiarism, on the other hand, means using another’s work, and saying that it is your own. Ways on how to avoid plagiarism are cited on the powerpoint presentation. It is important to know these points because negative things might happen as a result of copying another's work without giving credit to him/her. It is also important to always cite one's sources and references.

You are right, Kerni. thanks for sharing with us what you have learned. I agree that we are well-informed now about plagiarism, so we should apply what we have learned and avoid PLAGIARISM.Very Happy
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:02 pm

With all of the information for FREE!! why is it so hard to just state the name of the author or cite the source?

Plagiarism oftentimes root from.. ignorance or laziness
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next