Online Forum Discussion for Ms. Maan's Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

+36
ng.justine
reyes.chariemarie
aguila.matheressa
adao.prince
arcega.patricia
reyes.clarisa
fabregas.bianca
favorada.immyfelyss
Mojares.Richelle
cuenca.catherine
libao.danielleann
tablada.sharmaine
ilagan.magillene
mayo.raizza
bautista.aimeedresa
bolaños.jerelyn
Salamanca.Patricia
ty.rishina
dimaandal.roma
mercado.patriciaanne
Flores.Audrey
mangubat.charlesmico
dimaculangan.kerenkristel
Niña Keith B. Viterbo
ortaliza.kevin
lalusin.aaron
dinglasan.joycebelle
sangalang.dianejoy
Villanueva.Paoline
guevarra.mariaquita
hernandez.jaerelle
aldover.meryl
Abrenica.MarkKevin
burog.jomarigabriel
marquez.litzmichaela
Admin
40 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  mangubat.charlesmico Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 am

Flores.Audrey wrote:
hernandez.jaerelle wrote:
mangubat.charlesmico wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:
Niña Keith B. Viterbo wrote: PLagiarism is a serious matter!!!

Why do I have a feeling that this was copied from someone else's answer? Laughing Laughing

well I guess, Niña here hasn't learned from her lessons... Twisted Evil
Best example of plagiarism. Very Happy

Well, I think she knows now how plagiarism works. Don't you, Niña? Very Happy

Actually, Niña invented that word Cool
mangubat.charlesmico
mangubat.charlesmico

https://www.facebook.com, greenlaboratory.forummotion.net

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  lalusin.aaron Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 am

dimaculangan.kerenkristel wrote:
mercado.patriciaanne wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:So, let's not commit crime. Say no to "copy-paste"-ing. lol!

YEAH! Say no to copy-pasting! cheers

YEAH! Say no to copy-pasting!
Hey, I didn't copy-paste that one! Laughing Laughing

Great! we are one step closer to stopping plagiarism

lalusin.aaron

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty KATAGALOG

Post  Niña Keith B. Viterbo Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 am

dahil talamak na ang pleherismo, nais kong ipaabot ang aking lubos na pagtulong sa mg ataong nalululong sa plehebelismo.. Itigil natin ito aty magsamasama upang isulong ang pagbabago!! Smile)

Let us hold our hands together!!Smile

Last edited by Niña Keith B. Viterbo on Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Niña Keith B. Viterbo
Niña Keith B. Viterbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Flores.Audrey Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 am

lalusin.aaron wrote:I will now strive to avoid this heinous crime against intellectual property.

That's right, Aaron. Be a role model to others. Stop plagiarizing. Very Happy Very Happy
Flores.Audrey
Flores.Audrey

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 am

lalusin.aaron wrote:
Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:Plagiarism is immoral because it violates the Natural law. It is like stealing others work for our own good.

Using other's work is okay as long as we ask permission and give credit to their owners

We should be careful in doing the ' copy paste ' move because it is a crime!

Try to believe in our work, say no to plagiarism!

I agree. nothing good can come from stealing.

We should not purely depend on other's work... An added 'touch' of our own can make a little twist in the work...

AVOID PLAGIARISM
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  Niña Keith B. Viterbo Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 am

Flores.Audrey wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:
Niña Keith B. Viterbo wrote: PLagiarism is a serious matter!!!

Why do I have a feeling that this was copied from someone else's answer? Laughing Laughing

well I guess, Niña here hasn't learned from her lessons... Twisted Evil
Best example of plagiarism. Very Happy

Well, I think she knows now how plagiarism works. Don't you, Niña? Very Happy

Actually, Niña invented that word Cool

If you want to plagiarize.. consult mico!!
Niña Keith B. Viterbo
Niña Keith B. Viterbo

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Beyond Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

[justify]When I viewed and read the presentation about plagiarism and search engines, I realized many things.

As I finished studying about plagiarism, I found out that I was guilty of it. Whenever we have research work to do for our classes, I usually just do the simple "copy-paste" technique which leaves me a perfect score with no sweat. Oftentimes, I also tend to miss out on crediting the person or a specific source from which I retrieved my answers. It was only until now that I found out that doing this is exactly committing the crime of plagiarism and consequently violating the rights of the person himself/herself. In many ways, this could cause harm or even danger not only to the one who plagiarized but also to the one whose work has been plagiarized. As budding students, we should not plagiarize since it could damage our reputation and well-off character as well. We should work hard for everything we do, and we should not fully rely on others for our jobs.

As actress and singer Judy Garland says, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." cheers

I also learned many things from the presentation about search engines, and I deem those useful for our term paper these last two quarters. Not only that, but I also see it as a big help when I move forward to my college years, when I need to be independent already and work on my own, not depending on others. Smile
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Salamanca.Patricia Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:34 am

On the other hand, after viewing the powerpoint presentation Wading the Net, I realized that there are still a lot of things that I am not knowledgeable of!!!!

The trend nowadays in research is that we students use the most popular search engines, like Yahoo and Google, thinking that these are the most effective search engines to help us find what we are looking for. But the real thing is, there are other search engines that are more efficient...

These search engines are classified as metasearch engines that are able to streamline information from different sites. It also provides more accurate and detailed information about what we are searching for. Examples of these search engines are CactiSearch, Vivisimo, Brainboost, and KartOO. So, next time that I will be researching, I would be using these engines, and not Google and Yahoo anymore.

Smile)
Salamanca.Patricia
Salamanca.Patricia

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Respect.:)

Post  arcega.patricia Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

Upon reading the popwerpoint presentation,I learned the importance of intellectual honesty even in simple copying and pasting.I taught respect for other's work and that an idea,especially in the world wide web is owned by someone who needs to be noted as the owner before borrowing it.I understood the importance of the lesson by empathy.Honestly,I that was my work posted in the internet,I would also like it protected and used in a proper way by other people.Through empathy,I learned that everyone should really follow the rules against plagiarism.Getting the exact ideas with the exact words on the net and putting them to enhance your own work is just like another name for stealing.People can even get sued if they weren't able to give correct citations.It's almost synanimous to stealing material properties as they get caught and sued for getting what isn't theirs.

This might sound off the topic but plagiarism is a lot like love.Sometimes people get what isn't really theirs without ever thinking that others own them already.hahaha!.Smile But love,as unfair as it is, sometimes,just gives to where it receives happiness.It doesn't require citations.It isn't beaten by legal cases.So I suggest,I we can't priotect our feelings,why not switch and fight to protect other things like our ideas?Not to forget,the mind is equally important with the heart and both must be protected.Smile

Lastly,wading through the web or reasearching on the internet with the use of search engines was easy to understand because we use it daily especially when searching for assignments.And ,thanks to the ppt. presentation,I am now well versed on making my research proper,and legal with no offense to whoever originally created it.And I also learned on making sure of the facts reliability.

I think the most important realization I had was that borrowing is unavoidable.Some may be offended but not if we do it right with respect to them.

arcega.patricia

Back to top Go down

Post  mangubat.charlesmico Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

favorada.immyfelyss wrote:ORIGINALITY.

seems like a simple term, but when it comes to applying it to our everyday lives, who knows how simple or complex that simple word can be. as a journalist, it is a major sin for us to plagiarize, but as a student, i guess, it is normal for us to do that. in assignments, research works and the like, we always do the copy and paste thing to make our work better and easier. it's human nature, i guess, but don't you think it seems so unfair to the author of the article you just copied?

Plagiarism as described in the powerpoint is using another’s work without giving them credit and saying that it is your own. it's theft to the highest form 'cause it's not just the material things that you take from someone--it is their ideas and views that no one else in this world could ever have.

no two persons can have exactly the same idea, not even twins, so if you think plagiarizing doesn't hurt, why don't you try to put yourself to the author's shoes.

in the kind of world we have today, wading the net is like a habit 'cause anywhere we take ourselves to, we'd always have something to search the internet for. that's why i really do appreciate having search engines which could help me make my research works easier, and could help me save myself from tons of stress and the like. wading the net is a great thing we all are benefitting from, but keep in mind that nothing in this world can make us happy and complete if we know that it's not really ours to take.

YeS!!! when you commit plagiarism, you also commit theft. 2 birds in one shot. pityful. cheers
mangubat.charlesmico
mangubat.charlesmico

https://www.facebook.com, greenlaboratory.forummotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  burog.jomarigabriel Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

mercado.patriciaanne wrote:
I've come to think that a lot of people committed this kind of offense without being aware that they already did it.
That's why people must be educated about citations.If this will be included in the curriculum, the cases of plagiarism will decline.

Then computer time will be 4 hours a week!!! so we'll be like, until 5pm every wednesday. ^^, NICE ONE JAERELLE, SO HELPFUL!!! GRABEE!! Neutral

adding that topic to the curriculum isn't practical. As a responsible student, we should exercise our own conscience to this kind of topic.
burog.jomarigabriel
burog.jomarigabriel

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty It's my library.

Post  ilagan.magillene Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

Wading through the net. In almost everday of my life, I do this. I really benefit a lot from diffferent search engines that the net provides. It never just helped me on my academics but in my self development too. The net have done so much for me. It allows me to be updated in news and facts. Knowledge seems to be endless because of it. I know that every student owe a lot in it.

ilagan.magillene

Back to top Go down

Post  tablada.sharmaine Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

ty.rishina wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:My realization after reading the powerpoint about plagiarism is that i'm guilty of it. Whenever we have assignments that involved research, i just "copy-paste" informations from different sites and that's it. That's my assignment. For me, that's the easiest way to accomplish an assignment.

Yea. I agree with you, Len. We always strive for things to make OUR life better. What about others?

So now, let's just all say sorry for those "copy-pasted" works we submitted in the past! Smile)
tablada.sharmaine
tablada.sharmaine

Back to top Go down

Post  dimaandal.roma Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

Niña Keith B. Viterbo wrote: dahil talamak na ang pleherismo, nais kong ipaabot ang aking lubos na pagtulong sa mg ataong nalululong sa plehebelismo.. Itigil natin ito aty magsamasama upang isulong ang pagbabago!! Smile)

wow. nice, ninya. very ORIGINAL. haha. Smile)
dimaandal.roma
dimaandal.roma

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

like in cloning, would you want yourself to be cloned?

be original..
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  guevarra.mariaquita Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

ty.rishina wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:My realization after reading the powerpoint about plagiarism is that i'm guilty of it. Whenever we have assignments that involved research, i just "copy-paste" informations from different sites and that's it. That's my assignment. For me, that's the easiest way to accomplish an assignment.

Yea. I agree with you, Len. We always strive for things to make OUR life better. What about others?

We must strive hard for us to feel the pleasures in life. It's not an easy money. It requires hardship, time and determination. Smile
guevarra.mariaquita
guevarra.mariaquita

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Plagiarism of Students

Post  adao.prince Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

I do believe that most of the students do some research. They get informations on the internet, books like encyclopedias and the like.

Without knowing it, students are committing PLAGIARISM.The "cut and paste" method, which is a very common act of the students, is the simplest form of plagiarism that I can say. It is not totaly plagiarism if the student cites the source of the information. I myself is part of them......... Some students tend to paraphrase the sentences or deleting paragraphs in the article, and they would say that it is their' own work. Others are claiming others' work for their own.

I have learned that the simple things that we're doing, can be a CRIME to the society. Also, when looking for informations in the internet, we should learn to cite or recognize the sources, websites or persons, that we're behind the research.

adao.prince
adao.prince

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Plagiarism vs respect for man

Post  aguila.matheressa Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

Upon reading the powerpoint about plagiarism, I have learned that it has been a common illegal act that almost everyone, including me, may have committed without even knowing. Before, I thought that plagiarism happens only when other people vulgarly claim the work of other people. However, I learned that including improper or no citation at all is considered as plagiarism.

While people who commit this crime treat and think of it as a harmless act, it greatly demoralizes not the person whose work has been stolen, but the person who does it. Engaging one's self in plagiarism shows evidently one's lack of respect not only for others but more importantly for himself. Copying or claiming other people's work and taking credit for it, you deprive the person his merits for all the effort, dedication and time he has spent. Moreover, when you enact plagiarism, you deprive yourself the chance to prove your skills and capabilities.

While the word respect is already familiar to everyone, it is not exhibited by all. On the other hand, the concept of plagiarism which is not clear to everyone continues to strive and be committed by some, whether intentionally or unintentionally. As Lasallians, we should stay away from plagiarism. We should respect one another and furthermore, respect ourselves.

Last edited by aguila.matheressa on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
aguila.matheressa
aguila.matheressa

Back to top Go down

Post  ty.rishina Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 am

It's hard to be original. It's like saying you're unique.
ty.rishina
ty.rishina

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty PAPER.. Internet..

Post  sangalang.dianejoy Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 am

A student cheats as she / he copies the answers of his/her classmate.
Some do the "rephrasing or jumble words" method so that the teacher won't notice.
During the test, he / she also cheats when he / she secretly glances in his / her reviewer when the teacher is not around.

Same goes in the Internet.
In a presentation, people used to get photographs, videos and audios from the net.
They sometimes receive the credit because they didn't acknowledge the references being used which provided those things.
It can be a form of PLAGIARISM.

I remember a story. A student won in a story / poem writing contest. He was so proud. He rode in a jeepney and suddenly, an old man approached him asking what's the story / poem piece that made him win the contest. The student said the title of the story / poem. He was shocked when the man said, " (He stated his name) I am the true author. "

I read this in a book maybe 2-4 years ago, still it remains in my mind that gives a lesson about PLAGIARISM...
sangalang.dianejoy
sangalang.dianejoy

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty taking advantage?

Post  mayo.raizza Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 am

internet allows easy search about everything we want to know under the sun. with the use of search engines, we can easily read articles regarding different topics. not only can we search for informations about a topic by writing the keyword, we can also ask questions and we can get answers from different sources.

yes, internet supplies us learnings.

but, with all these help provided by the search engines, we should always commend the person, or site from where we got our new discoveries. there are certain ways on how to state our sources, so we should never forget our list of references. it avoid plagiarism, and it gives the readers of our research a chance to look it up in the internet and explore more about the topic.

we should never take advantage of the search engines that gives us informations. don't forget to write the sources! Smile
mayo.raizza
mayo.raizza

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Wading Through the Net and Plagiarism

Post  reyes.chariemarie Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 am

When you are a student, especially from high school, it is inevitable that the students will have to research information in order to complete a task or assignment. We need to research for whatever is asked by the teacher especially when you cannot find the answer from the book. In researching through the net, we have to be careful in the accurateness or efficiency of the information and to avoid in committing plagiarism.

In researching in search engine websites like Google.com and Yahoo.com, we type a certain keyword and a whole bunch of links pop out in just a few seconds; however, picking one of the links containing the information you needed is probably the biggest challenge. Is the website safe? Does it contain the information I need? If it does, is it complete and accurate or is it just some opinion posted by someone? These are questions that come to my mind when I am researching. Because of these, we would need to go to different websites so that we could really make sure if that certain information is correct. But in getting these information, another thing that we have to be aware is that if we are committing plagiarism or not.

At least once in our life, plagiarism is something that we have already committed without even knowing it. With all the researches we have to do in almost all of the subjects, it is inevitable for most students to just copy and paste the text or document from a website and call it a research, without even knowing that this is not acceptable without putting the source where you got it and acknowledging the person who posted it. We all need to be aware of all the ways to avoid plagiarism like using your own words and citing the source, so that in our future research or paper work, we would not commit plagiarism.
reyes.chariemarie
reyes.chariemarie

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 5 Empty Copy and Paste...

Post  Admin Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:00 am

marquez.litzmichaela wrote:After reading the ppt presentation about Plagiarism, I realized that I plagiarize every now and then. Whenever there are assignments to be reasearched, I just do the usual "cut and paste" method especially from sources like Wiki and yahoo! answers.

I can't avoid Plagiarism because of the numerous assignments to be submitted in just a nick of time and with so many things to do, it's very hard to cite the sources from which I got the information because of the so many things I have to do.

I normally just rephrase the answer I got from them then I just print it. Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called cheating.

Nice realization in the end:) But always find time to cite sources ok.

Admin
Admin

http://glendaobre.bestoforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ng.justine Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Most of the time when we have a lot of assignments and research to do we tend to search for the answers in the net or in a book and copy it directly and in just a snap we already have our assignment ready for submission. But do you know that this habit of ours is a serious crime that we must start changing now before it worsens? Plagiarism or copying the work of others for our own use is an act that one must not tolerate. Copying the work of others means stealing their ideas, the ideas that they spent a lot of time thinking and improving, ideas in which they exerted a lot of effort. Don’t you think that it is unfair for them if we just steal their work without any effort exerted, and without even their knowledge that their work was already used for others profit? We all know that getting a little help from the many resources around us isn’t bad, but would it hurt us to take time to cite our references and give credit to the work of others from which we also gain? Think about it. Stop Plagiarism. cheers
ng.justine
ng.justine

Back to top Go down

Post  ng.justine Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:41 pm

lalusin.aaron wrote:After reading the presentations, I felt guilty because I may have committed plagiarism because back then I did not properly cite my resources whenever I do research works. Also, I did not realize until now that self-plagiarism existed. I now realize how bad plagiarism is and I will now strive to avoid this heinous crime against intellectual property. Plagiarism and stealing are not that different from one another and I learned this because of the powerpoint presentation that i viewed. Plagiarism is wide spread mainly because people do not know what plagiarism is and what the negative effects of plagiarism are. Thanks the presentation, I know know how to properly cite my references and I have now joined the fight against the theft of intellectual property because I believe that plagiarism affects not only the people in our immediate vicinity, it also affects thos innocent poeple who have worked hard in order to share their knowledge with the world yet their efforts are not even recognized.

I totally agree with you Aaron! The power point presentation indeed taught us a couple of IMPORTANT things that we should not miss. Thank to information provided to us by the ppt we are now aware of our wrong doings and hopefully each one of us will start changing our old ways! Very Happy
ng.justine
ng.justine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next