Online Forum Discussion for Ms. Maan's Class
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

+36
ng.justine
reyes.chariemarie
aguila.matheressa
adao.prince
arcega.patricia
reyes.clarisa
fabregas.bianca
favorada.immyfelyss
Mojares.Richelle
cuenca.catherine
libao.danielleann
tablada.sharmaine
ilagan.magillene
mayo.raizza
bautista.aimeedresa
bolaños.jerelyn
Salamanca.Patricia
ty.rishina
dimaandal.roma
mercado.patriciaanne
Flores.Audrey
mangubat.charlesmico
dimaculangan.kerenkristel
Niña Keith B. Viterbo
ortaliza.kevin
lalusin.aaron
dinglasan.joycebelle
sangalang.dianejoy
Villanueva.Paoline
guevarra.mariaquita
hernandez.jaerelle
aldover.meryl
Abrenica.MarkKevin
burog.jomarigabriel
marquez.litzmichaela
Admin
40 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 9 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  Salamanca.Patricia Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:03 pm

reyes.clarisa wrote:[justify]When I viewed and read the presentation about plagiarism and search engines, I realized many things.

As I finished studying about plagiarism, I found out that I was guilty of it. Whenever we have research work to do for our classes, I usually just do the simple "copy-paste" technique which leaves me a perfect score with no sweat. Oftentimes, I also tend to miss out on crediting the person or a specific source from which I retrieved my answers. It was only until now that I found out that doing this is exactly committing the crime of plagiarism and consequently violating the rights of the person himself/herself. In many ways, this could cause harm or even danger not only to the one who plagiarized but also to the one whose work has been plagiarized. As budding students, we should not plagiarize since it could damage our reputation and well-off character as well. We should work hard for everything we do, and we should not fully rely on others for our jobs.

As actress and singer Judy Garland says, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." cheers

I also learned many things from the presentation about search engines, and I deem those useful for our term paper these last two quarters. Not only that, but I also see it as a big help when I move forward to my college years, when I need to be independent already and work on my own, not depending on others. Smile

very well said, Clarisa! Be proud and confident of what you can do. Don't be afraid to show others what you've got. Be original and don't just copy trends from others. Smile
Salamanca.Patricia
Salamanca.Patricia

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 9 Empty Re: Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:04 pm

arcega.patricia wrote:

I think the most important realization I had was that borrowing is unavoidable.Some may be offended but not if we do it right with respect to them.

that's right trixa.... RESPECT.... and gratitude to the original author...

like the one we're doing right now... we QUOTE... they're replies...

thanks trixa
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  aguila.matheressa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:05 pm

marquez.litzmichaela wrote:Tenen! A research paper in just a snap of a finger. I forget the fact that copying of the answers of some people is called cheating.

You're definitely right Litz. I didn't realize until I read your reaction that plagiarism is also cheating. Just as you are when you are cheating during exams, you are not fooling anyone but yourself. Being acknowledged for something which you know is not the fruit of your own labor, you cannot fully be satisfied. It is even degrading for one because you feel unable to accomplish something as good, so for me, plagiarizing is a big NO NO! santa rendeer
aguila.matheressa
aguila.matheressa

Back to top Go down

Post  Salamanca.Patricia Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:06 pm

Villanueva.Paoline wrote:
favorada.immyfelyss wrote:
dimaandal.roma wrote:After reading the powerpoint presentations, I had a guilty feeling inside me. I reflected for sometime and realized that I AM GUILTY of Plagiarism. It's hard to accept the fact that I am a thief. However, I won't deny it either.

well. i guess we all are guilty of this crime.. it's just up to us to do something about it.

I admit it too. Yeah, we should really do something about it. It's never too late to change. Let us train ourselves by using our own ideas and by giving credit to the works that helped us accomplish our tasks.

Me too. Well, I guess everyone of us, in one way or another, are guilty of plagiarism. Instead of just being ashamed of ourselves, let us start to campaign against plagiarism. Smile
Salamanca.Patricia
Salamanca.Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojares.Richelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 pm

bolaños.jerelyn wrote:
ng.justine wrote:
Niña Keith B. Viterbo wrote: One of these days, if plagiarism worsens, many people especially the victims would suffer!!

This is so true Niña! Victims of plagiarism would really suffer! And we don't want to be one of those victims, don't we? neither do we want to be the cause of other's suffering. So I really think that we should start making a move to stop and change our old ways of plagiarizing other's work, and that move and change will begin in us. cheers

That's right. In order to advocate "no to plagiarism", it should start first with ourselves.

I agree. We must be the start of the change for the brighter future.
Mojares.Richelle
Mojares.Richelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Salamanca.Patricia Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 pm

burog.jomarigabriel wrote:
aldover.meryl wrote:it's not wrong to ask help from others, but they deserve a simple thanks in the form of giving credits to them Very Happy
w
well said. A simple thank you is the simplest form of acknowledging their work.

Very true. Though simple as it may seem, a thank you would mean a lot. Very Happy
Salamanca.Patricia
Salamanca.Patricia

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 pm

burog.jomarigabriel wrote:
mangubat.charlesmico wrote:
hernandez.jaerelle wrote:
mercado.patriciaanne wrote:
I've come to think that a lot of people committed this kind of offense without being aware that they already did it.
That's why people must be educated about citations.If this will be included in the curriculum, the cases of plagiarism will decline.

Then computer time will be 4 hours a week!!! so we'll be like, until 5pm every wednesday. ^^, NICE ONE JAERELLE, SO HELPFUL!!! GRABEE!! Neutral

adding that topic to the curriculum isn't practical. As a responsible student, we should exercise our own conscience to this kind of topic.

I agree with Jom... we should not be forced to do it.. we should be willing to express our gratitude to the author of the article...
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 pm

aldover.meryl wrote:Plagiarism oftentimes root from.. ignorance or laziness

I TOTALLY agree... I really didn't know that plagiarism is what I apply in doing my assignments. Also, feeling lazy about these assignments pushes me to just copy and paste info from the net. Now, I already know what to do regarding plagiarism. Thanks to the powerpoint presentations and THANKS TO YOU..Very Happy
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:08 pm

favorada.immyfelyss wrote:
no two persons can have exactly the same idea, not even twins, so if you think plagiarizing doesn't hurt, why don't you try to put yourself to the author's shoes.

Yes, we should try to put ourselves to someone's shoes before we start plagiarizing his/her work. Though it may seem harmless, it can actually degrade one's character or even put him/her down in the dumps. We should always consider others' feelings before we do something, and in this case, we should consider what one would feel upon knowing that we "copied" their work without proper credit due them.
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

bautista.aimeedresa wrote:Usually, students do not know that they're committing plagiarism when doing assignments. It's good to know that at least now, we're taught of what it is and how it affects people, especially those whose ideas are stolen. I have already heard of the term when I was younger but didn't actually know what it meant. I didn't realize that I am doing it myself. When doing assignments, i oftentimes copy-paste articles from the net. And now that I've learned about it, I will apply my learnings. From now on, I will always give credit to my source and use my own ideas and words. Hihihihi. :>

We're really lucky that we're well informed about this issue...
many people are currently having a problem in finding a way to escape their guilt of this fault
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:12 pm

Mojares.Richelle wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:
lalusin.aaron wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:So, let's not commit crime. Say no to "copy-paste"-ing. lol!

YEAH! Say no to copy-pasting! cheers

I agree, but saying no is not enough. We also have to act on this pressing issue

I agree with Aaron. We should have self discipline in order to lessen this kind of issue.

I agree. We need to develop self discipline within ourselves to fully say that we are a successful one.

Copying answers from the net or other sources is unavoidable, but as we "paste" our answers in our documents, we should remember to thank the person who helped us by any means in coming up with the answer through mentioning him/her and acknowledging his/her work.
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:14 pm

good job prince... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=170426259642935&id=100000180181907 we should spread the word about plagiarism

NO TO PLAGIARISM
it's a means of stealing. To steal is against God...
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

ortaliza.kevin wrote:
Salamanca.Patricia wrote:After reading the powerpoint presentations regarding Plagiarism, I realized a lot of things.

Yes, indeed, a lot of people are knowledgeable with regards to what plagiarism is. We know that plagiarizing is bad and wrong because it is stealing of others intellectual properties. So, what then is the problem?

The big problem is that people are not aware that what they are doing is already plagiarism. Oftentimes, students like me are given research works in school, and our instincts would tell us to just copy paste the information found in the internet, then we have our assignments ready! Not knowing that what we did is already stealing and is against the existing rules and is punishable by law. Waaaaaa! Who now, then, is confident in saying that he/she never commit plagiarism? I believe that all of us, in one way or another have commit plagiarism.

Now that we are aware of this, we must put an end to this bad thing that we are doing. How? In researching, we must not forget to include the citations in our work. Through putting citations, we give acknowledgement and respect to the person who originally thought of the idea and that we are not saying that we are the owners of thatr intellectual property.

LET US SAY NO TO PLAGIARISM NOW!!!! Very Happy

Wow!! This is like plagiarized from my reply.. Just Kidding!!...I totally agree! We must put an end to this bad thing. How can we end this? It's easy! Just cite the source! that's it

Hahahaha! Both of you are correct. Plagiarism is really a bad thing. Thanks for the sharings.Very Happy We should apply our knowledge about the use of plagiarism in order to contribute to stop plagiarism. According to Efren Peñaflorida, "We are the change that we dream." This statement says that change should begin with ourselves. With this change, we can be good examples to other people.Very Happy
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

ng.justine wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:
As actress and singer Judy Garland says, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." cheers

You are so right TamaBuds! It's really better to be true and to be you rather than living a life pretending to be someone else whom you are not. Just like in the requirements in school that we submit, doesn't it make you feel better and more proud if you get a high score because you submitted your OWN work rather because you submitted a "patch up" work or worst because you submitted the work of others?

raise your own flag..
be honest
avoid plagiarism
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

aldover.meryl wrote:
arcega.patricia wrote:

I think the most important realization I had was that borrowing is unavoidable.Some may be offended but not if we do it right with respect to them.

that's right trixa.... RESPECT.... and gratitude to the original author...

like the one we're doing right now... we QUOTE... they're replies...

thanks trixa

Tricia and Meryl, I agree with you. We need to show respect and express our gratitude to the people who helped us in order not to offend them, right? This also goes in acknowledging whatever they have contributed in our written reports or research papers. Smile In this way, no one will be hurt. A simple "References" section won't hurt, right?
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Mojares.Richelle Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 pm

reyes.chariemarie wrote:
Salamanca.Patricia wrote:

Yes Patty! SAY NO TO COPY-PASTING!! We have to learn to avoid committing plagiarism Smile

I agree. We must avoid committing sin!
Mojares.Richelle
Mojares.Richelle

Back to top Go down

Post  aldover.meryl Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:19 pm

mayo.raizza wrote:

yes, internet supplies us learnings.

Smile

It's free
once you upload something on the net... it's not anymore your own... but one must learn to give credit...
aldover.meryl
aldover.meryl

Back to top Go down

Post  rosuman.edzel Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 pm

aldover.meryl wrote:good job prince... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=170426259642935&id=100000180181907 we should spread the word about plagiarism

NO TO PLAGIARISM
it's a means of stealing. To steal is against God...

Nice one!
rosuman.edzel
rosuman.edzel

Back to top Go down

Post  aguila.matheressa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Mojares.Richelle wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:
lalusin.aaron wrote:
Flores.Audrey wrote:So, let's not commit crime. Say no to "copy-paste"-ing. lol!

I agree, but saying no is not enough. We also have to act on this pressing issue

I agree with Aaron. We should have self discipline in order to lessen this kind of issue.

I agree. We need to develop self discipline within ourselves to fully say that we are a successful one.

I agree with aaaaaaall of you. Now that we have the vision of what needs to be changed, let us start to act upon it. SAY NO TO PLAGIARISM. LEARN TO ACKNOWLEDGE OTHERS FOR THEIR WORK. most importantly, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF THAT YOU DO NOT NEED TO ENGAGE IN SUCH ACTS IN ORDER TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING AS GOOD AS THE WORK OF OTHERS. santa rendeer
aguila.matheressa
aguila.matheressa

Back to top Go down

Post  aguila.matheressa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Mojares.Richelle wrote:
reyes.chariemarie wrote:

Yes Patty! SAY NO TO COPY-PASTING!! We have to learn to avoid committing plagiarism Smile

I agree. We must avoid committing sin!

SAY NO TO COMMITTING SINS BY NOT COMMITTING PLAGIARISM THROUGH COPY-PASTING. Neutral santa rendeer
aguila.matheressa
aguila.matheressa

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

reyes.clarisa wrote:
Mojares.Richelle wrote:
bolaños.jerelyn wrote:
lalusin.aaron wrote:

Copying answers from the net or other sources is unavoidable, but as we "paste" our answers in our documents, we should remember to thank the person who helped us by any means in coming up with the answer through mentioning him/her and acknowledging his/her work.

Yes, you are all right. WORDS ARE POWERFUL WEAPONS, but we should not stop in just saying our insights about plagiarism. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. We should apply our knowledge in avoiding plagiarism like what Clarisa said.Smile
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Plagiarism and Wading Through the Net - Page 9 Empty Are you a criminal?

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Long and laborious history assignment due tomorrow? Easy! I won't have to roll my eyes and grudgingly get a pen and paper. All I have to do is go online and copy-paste information about the Holocaust or Second World War. Now, I could get an A+ and a good night’s rest, right? Wrong! Unfortunately, I could probably get kicked out, sued and then thrown behind bars. And for what? PLAGIARISM.

I have to admit… When I didn’t know any better, I was guilty of plagiarism. I wasn’t just innocent. I was ignorant. I had no idea it was wrong to carelessly copy something off the internet and make it seem like it was my own work. Yet, as time progressed, I slowly understood the technicalities of using references in doing homework and research. I’m a writer, and it’s crucial for me to be very careful about quoting, citing and referring to different source materials. I can lose my credibility and even integrity. So, I see to it I don’t plagiarize most especially when I’m writing in the school paper. I make sure I quote the right people and mention the sources and references of my article... But it doesn't stop there. I will continue this practice even with simple assignments since the consequences of plagiarism don't exempt anyone no matter what his or her situation is. Plagiarism is a crime. It is considered an act of theft in a subtle but not less evil way. It is immoral to steal, may it be a diamond ring or just a sentence from an author's book. I don't want to be a criminal or immoral at the same time, so I wouldn't plagiarize. Perseverance in making an assignment or research may be a Herculean task, but it isn't impossible. So, a Herculean task, I will fulfill so as not be a violator of the moral code.

Moreover, after reading two different PowerPoint presentations, I was a degree wiser. I learned many new things in the field of search engines and researching a topic. I was also delighted to read the PowerPoint “Wading through the Net” because I found out about new ways to make researching a topic easier. It was really helpful to learn about these since I had no idea I could lighten my load by applying this simple applications in search engines and metasearches. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited to use these new discoveries in making an assignment in the future.

rabbit sunny sunny
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  Benitez.Dana Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm

guevarra.mariaquita wrote:
Abrenica.MarkKevin wrote:Plagiarism is immoral because it violates the Natural law. It is like stealing others work for our own good.
Try to believe in our work, say no to plagiarism!

Wow. It's nice to hear those words from you, MK. Wink

Indeed, it is nice of you, MK to relate plagiarism with the laws of morality which is a very timely issue nowadays.

Yes, very timely. With everything happening in our society... Immorality is as rampant as ever! Let's make an effort in easing this even if it's just through a simple act of avoiding plagiarism. Smile
Benitez.Dana
Benitez.Dana

Back to top Go down

Post  libao.danielleann Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Benitez.Dana wrote:Long and laborious history assignment due tomorrow? Easy! I won't have to roll my eyes and grudgingly get a pen and paper. All I have to do is go online and copy-paste information about the Holocaust or Second World War. Now, I could get an A+ and a good night’s rest, right? Wrong! Unfortunately, I could probably get kicked out, sued and then thrown behind bars. And for what? PLAGIARISM.

I have to admit… When I didn’t know any better, I was guilty of plagiarism. I wasn’t just innocent. I was ignorant. I had no idea it was wrong to carelessly copy something off the internet and make it seem like it was my own work. Yet, as time progressed, I slowly understood the technicalities of using references in doing homework and research. I’m a writer, and it’s crucial for me to be very careful about quoting, citing and referring to different source materials. I can lose my credibility and even integrity. So, I see to it I don’t plagiarize most especially when I’m writing in the school paper. I make sure I quote the right people and mention the sources and references of my article... But it doesn't stop there. I will continue this practice even with simple assignments since the consequences of plagiarism don't exempt anyone no matter what his or her situation is. Plagiarism is a crime. It is considered an act of theft in a subtle but not less evil way. It is immoral to steal, may it be a diamond ring or just a sentence from an author's book. I don't want to be a criminal or immoral at the same time, so I wouldn't plagiarize. Perseverance in making an assignment or research may be a Herculean task, but it isn't impossible. So, a Herculean task, I will fulfill so as not be a violator of the moral code.

Moreover, after reading two different PowerPoint presentations, I was a degree wiser. I learned many new things in the field of search engines and researching a topic. I was also delighted to read the PowerPoint “Wading through the Net” because I found out about new ways to make researching a topic easier. It was really helpful to learn about these since I had no idea I could lighten my load by applying this simple applications in search engines and metasearches. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited to use these new discoveries in making an assignment in the future.

rabbit sunny sunny

NOSEBLEED... You are really correct. Plagiarism is not just a bad thing that can be forgiven by a simple sorry: plagiarism is a sin. Thanks for your insights. I learned a lot.Very Happy
libao.danielleann
libao.danielleann

Back to top Go down

Post  reyes.clarisa Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 pm

aldover.meryl wrote:
ng.justine wrote:
reyes.clarisa wrote:

You are so right TamaBuds! It's really better to be true and to be you rather than living a life pretending to be someone else whom you are not. Just like in the requirements in school that we submit, doesn't it make you feel better and more proud if you get a high score because you submitted your OWN work rather because you submitted a "patch up" work or worst because you submitted the work of others?

raise your own flag..
be honest
avoid plagiarism

Thanks, Justine! Smile I think we're on the same boat in our way of thinking. We should stand up for our own! We should not rely on others always. Independence can benefit us in so many ways once we get to college in which we will be far away from our parents or guardians. When we know how to work on our own without making other people help us, we can succeed. Smile As early as now, we should learn to be proud of our own works so that when the time comes that we should express our own thoughts, it would not be as difficult as much as before. Very Happy

Avoid PLAGIARISM! Smile Let us support MERYL! Very Happy
reyes.clarisa
reyes.clarisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next